• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

What version of the Rolemaster RPG are you using?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GKahla

GKahla

Toad

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

Like the subject implies, I'm curious about which specific version of the Rolemaster RPG you're using at this table...

My Rolemaster experiences have been enjoyable, but they were always using pre-generated characters from a GM who was somewhat RM-specialized. Beyond these actual play sessions, I've used several supplements from the Shadow World setting to fill in spots in Greyhawk and Glorantha. (Yes, blasphemy of the highest order!)

The Middle Earth implementation using Rolemaster was particularly memorable. Picture if you will: a Knight of the Dales in full-plate getting evicerated by a housecat with hot dice.

At least, that's what would have happened if the GM hadn't injected a dose of realism and left the character with a nasty scratch.

Has anyone had experience with HARP? (Which, I'm told, is a Rolemaster-lite variant.)

Glad to see someone getting some milage out of a venerable system! I do hope it's not too 80's for your group...

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

Can't believe I missed this post - Bah!

I am currently running the 2nd Edition of Rolemaster. The red books in the red box with all 7 of the Rolemaster Companions to dip rules from and a good sprinkling of house rules to boot :)

I love playing in MERP but I wanted my players to experience Shadow World to get a feel for Rolemaster before I even tried to cross the MERP bridge. I have a feeling that the movies will taint the presentation of MERP for a lot of players who are not intimately familiar with the books (sadly I am extremely familiar with the books so I have a different vision of it in my head - mostly based on the art of Alan Lee).

I played RM in MERP for a long while and it was bloody brilliant. I have a load of the MERP books and would love to finish the set off some day as the books and maps are truly excellent and well worth a look. If anyone sees any cheap about the place let me know :)

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#3 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

Somewhere around here I have the original three Middle-Earth Choose Your Own Adventure books that were based on the MERP system. I'd be very interested in any future MERP audio game.

#4 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

Was one of those Weathertop? I think I have that one. Found it at a garage sale or used bookstore. I forget which.

#5 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

The three I have (I can't remember the exact titles) are set in Isengard, Helm's Deep, and Moria. The first two I found at a used book store, the third I've had for so long that I have no idea where it came from.

#6 Kadath

Kadath

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:41 AM

Hi everyone - long time lurker here. I normally hang out at YSDC but poC seems to have gotten me addicted to audio games, damn his eyes!

I just wanted to chime in with support for a MERP campaign - I have played RM a couple of times, one in a Middle Earthish setting and once as Pirates (Har Harrr!) and really enjoyed it however I am not enough of a maths genius to feel comfortable running it yet.

I bought a MASSIVE MERP collection a couple of years ago, I think I have about 80% of everything in first and second edition in one job lot - pretty much everything apart from the ultra rare books and for some reason second ed Minas Tirith and Mirkwood which I aim to get at some point.

In the meantime I am really looking forward to listening to these Rolemaster sessions.

Kadath

#7 GKahla

GKahla

Toad

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

Can't believe I missed this post - Bah!

I am currently running the 2nd Edition of Rolemaster. The red books in the red box with all 7 of the Rolemaster Companions to dip rules from and a good sprinkling of house rules to boot :)

With all the excitement (not to mention the visiting in-law(s?)), I can understand missing the tentative post of a newbie!

As for the specific edition; I have that very copy! Printed in 1989. . . Ah! Boxed sets! Amazing stuff. There's never a lack of potential house-rules with grognards . . . and RM is quite suited to "tweaks" as well.

I love playing in MERP but I wanted my players to experience Shadow World to get a feel for Rolemaster before I even tried to cross the MERP bridge. I have a feeling that the movies will taint the presentation of MERP for a lot of players who are not intimately familiar with the books (sadly I am extremely familiar with the books so I have a different vision of it in my head - mostly based on the art of Alan Lee).

I played RM in MERP for a long while and it was bloody brilliant. I have a load of the MERP books and would love to finish the set off some day as the books and maps are truly excellent and well worth a look. If anyone sees any cheap about the place let me know

Wow - synchronicitous! One of my co-GMs just ran us through a 3-sitting scenario in Middle Earth using the One Roll Engine (of Reign and Nemesis fame). Quite entertaining!

No, there's no official support for the ORE in Tolkien's setting. However, this particular gamer has a serious lust for the setting and we'll sit down to an ME session using whatever gamescience catches his eye that week. He has many (many) of the original MERP books and uses them for reference material wholesale.

Interesting to hear you're planning on the Shadow World -> MERP migration. Getting your players used to the rules first isn't a bad idea at all.

Thanks for the response - here's to memorable adventures and more Rolemaster in the feed!

#8 Bazorkin

Bazorkin

Stirge

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

RMSS.
I really like the way the books were laid out and I got a really good deal on my second copy of the rules.

#9 thesplash

thesplash

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBeaumont, TX

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Wow - synchronicitous! One of my co-GMs just ran us through a 3-sitting scenario in Middle Earth using the One Roll Engine (of Reign and Nemesis fame). Quite entertaining!

Thanks, G. I had a blast running it.

No, there's no official support for the ORE in Tolkien's setting. However, this particular gamer has a serious lust for the setting and we'll sit down to an ME session using whatever gamescience catches his eye that week. He has many (many) of the original MERP books and uses them for reference material wholesale.

I do have a serious lust for Middle-earth. It's a special place where there is magical wonder and epic heroes. I do not have the books :( but have all the pdf's from MERP.com.

Awesome stuff. Great maps and insight into Tolkien's world. My affection for Middle-earth has grown over the years of my gaming time. I just wish I would have collected the MERP books!

I have not been a fan of RM. I like to GM systems that are a little more transparent and less obtrusive to immersion. But, as a player, I would jump in a second!

I look forward to hearing the RM podcasts and hope you guys have fun with it. Thanks, G, for showing the way to this site.

KK

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hey there,

Welcome aboard! Nice to have you fellow Texans on board :D

Make yourselves at home :P

#11 wcuservo

wcuservo

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I've got a quick question. I'm thinking of starting up a Rolemaster session with my group after we finish our Cthulhu campaign. I know you're using the 2nd edition books, but I'd like to know which ones so I can order the right ones. I'm hearing 2nd edition is the best of the bunch, and considering the books are numbered on ICE's website (I believe 2nd edition's core box is 1000). What other books do you have and if you could get me those numbers it would make my Amazon, Ebay, random website searching that much easier.

Thanks!

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hey there,

Rolemaster 2nd Edition came as a red box set. The individual books can also be bought.

The boxed set is current sold out on Noble Knight but this is what you are looking for...

Rolemaster Box on Noble Knight

They do seem to have some of the books individually. You want Arms Law, Character / Campaign Law and Spell Law for the full base set.

On top of that you might want to consider the Companion books (there are 7 of them). The must important by far is Companion II as it has the expanded skills system in it (along with some rather nice character classes). Companion I has some expanded options for Background Options which are rather nice and add some colour to characters as well.

You may also want to consider MERP. It is a cut down and streamlined version of Rolemaster but it is still a pretty nice game if you like Lord of the Rings :) I am still collecting the old MERP books :)

Let me know if you have any other questions - always happy to get more people playing Rolemaster :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge