50 replies to this topic

#21 Alexandrian

Alexandrian

The Dark Fox

• Patrons
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

I absolutely adore Lindsay's Vorloi. "You're Weird, you won't buy me a drink." I can imagine a sinister little person with those sharp pointy teeth.

From what I understand, I can follow you all playing the game, and can just about understand the system; however I don't think I could handle sitting down and GM-ing a game like that. Mainly because my players are a little less open minded to other systems :(

#22 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

and as we are using the optional rule for Spell Adders that lets you cast any spell you know without restriction

That actualy seemd more broken to me than Lindsay's huge magic item. That and the whole "cleric healing himself when he's unconscious" thing seemd a bit wrong too. Nobody actualy bothered trying to help him when he went down.

I notice you used the famous "reaction roll" once during that session. That's the silly "roll a d100 every round to see how agressive/cowardly the foe is" roll. According to the rules it's actualy mandatory but surely common sense comes into play most of the time and you only need to make a reaction roll if there's some ambiguity involved.

#23 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

No real reaction rolls for me I am afraid! Only when I can't decide what an enemy will do when all his mates go down :)

The adders used this way are an optional way to remove some of the massive restrictions on the casters at the start of the game. If Ned could only cast his Level 1 spells safely then the whole party would not be long for this world :)

Also he is playing a Healer - the class has a special spell list called Transferring Ways to take damage onto themselves. After that all their spells are pretty much self only :) At high levels Healers are the hardest class to kill because you know them down and they just keep getting back up :)

The straight up normal healing class is the Lay Healer - but his spells are not as powerful as they are not self only and he does not have the added restriction of having to Transfer everything :)

Hal :hal:

#24 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:33 AM

I am you know! Hits taken, crits taken, hits given, crits given (and to which creature), killing blows, manurers, spells cast, distance travelled...

Am I reading this right? Do you actually make a note of it every time someone visits the House at Pooh Corner? Do you have an Excel spread sheet titled "Dookies delivered"? (Better not keep it on your work computer...) Or was it just a typing error? :D (Personally, I'm not sure how I'd feel, knowing that my GM was monitoring my every bowel movement...) :bagpipe:

#25 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

Am I reading this right?

Manouvers, that's climbing, running, jumping, all sorts of stuff that involve movement really.

#26 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

How about shitting? That involves movement, right?

...Okay, okay, pardon for being a prat. I understand now! :D

#27 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

Bloody spell checker.

Yeah - I keep track of all movement and static maneuvers. Movement being running and climbing and the like and static being pretty much anything else.

The spreadsheet I wrote speeds things up to about 5 minutes and I can track everything and it is pretty :) By hand is a pain ;)

#28 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Just finished listening. I really enjoyed this session, and I think the game is pretty good. The tables seem cumbersome, but really add to the descriptions and make things more interesting, compared to a system like D&D.

#29 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

The tables seem cumbersome, but really add to the descriptions and make things more interesting, compared to a system like D&D.

I wish people would stop making this comparison. My D&D groups generally do fine describing criticals, regular hits, special moves, spells, saves, and even misses, without tables. I wager one wouldn't have to look far to find Rolemaster groups that don't bother reading off the descriptions of the criticals, but just tally the damage and effects and move on. It's the gamers, not the system, that make for interesting descriptions. If the system inspires description, the players will provide it. If not, they won't. D&D inspires some people, others not so much.

Edit: I'm a bit contradictory up there. Basically, if people enjoy a system and gain creative inspiration from it, they will go out of their way to describe what happens in it. Not everyone is inspired by the same stuff or in the same way, even if they enjoy it equally.

#30 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

What if I were to say that compared to the first audio recordings of Worlds Largest Dungeon, this recording had more descriptive combat? I'd say that would be accurate.

There's really three things here: 1) People tend to describe and emphasize the things that are important to them. 2) A list of things that could happen in combat is probably more exhaustive than one's own imagination. 3) A system will emphasize certain parts of the simulation over others.

And while I might like to describe that my blow sent the opponent back 15 feet in D&D, I'd be treading on some dangerous ground considering the tactical nature of that game.

Yes, the players are the key element, but the system doesn't have a negligible impact either.

#31 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

On further reflection, I withdraw my comment, if I might be allowed. It's perfectly true that run-of-the-mill attacks in D&D don't generally bring about effects like bleeding and stunning or other wounds, at least not explicitly. The concept of hit points is abstract enough that such conditions could be described by way of getting across how few hit points a creature has, but generally aren't, in my experience. So, if players want such effects made explicit, Rolemaster is a better game for them than something like D&D.

#32 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Explicit is a perfect description. Even if Fin isn't playing :wink:

#33 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

Being the sluggĂ­sh dullard that I am, I have only listened to the first episode in this series - but even with this little to go on, I think it's safe for me to be expecting the usual high quality of entertainment we've become used to getting from RPGMp3.com. Okay, just one more bit of sucking up to get over with before I leave - I got inspired to this little thing:

Posted Image

The full version can be viewed at http://mokkurkalfe.d...rt.com/gallery/, along with a picture of the tree sprite and Mr. Weaseltrousers on their lonesome.

I hope you approve, 'cuz I ain't changing it now. :)

#34 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:22 AM

Cool.

I hope you approve, 'cuz I ain't changing it now. :)

Heh. I think you'll have to revise this little when episode 9 is released. :D

#35 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

I totally agree with that :) But it is bloody brilliant :D

I think Ned's Healer might be missing however :)

i love it when I can to see the characters from the sessions :D

#36 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

I expect he's passed out on the floor :D

#37 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

Or off in a corner sulking...

#38 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

Thank you! You're all too kind :D

Or off in a corner sulking...

Or maybe he's the one taking the picture (when you live forever, it's good to have some memorabilia to help jog your memory of all the people you've met and had to stitch back together)... perhaps that's why Mattock-Boy has assumed battle stance; the party did spend a lot of time discussing how to kill the elf in the first episode (the only one I've heard so far, as I mentioned - lazy, uncouth little me...)

But, if I'm being brutally honest (and aren't we all), the real reason mr. Elf is nowhere to be seen is... I didn't know how to draw him! All the other characters had cool, evocative descriptions, but he was just: "Umm, I'm an elf, and I'm tall... err... Oh, and I wear a cloak." So I didn't draw him. Sue me :)

#39 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

Cool image.

#40 Akira1121

Akira1121

Goblin

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

If you need to describe my healers characteristics it would be a mix of Doogie Houser (The Teenage Doctor, old american tv show) and Shikamaru Nara (From the Naruto series), in elf form. I don't know exactly how you would draw him but that would be him in a nutshell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge