• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

You have a party of only 3 which classes should you pick?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 The_Nalic

The_Nalic

Goblin

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBradford, W. Yorks

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

well itlooks like i'm finally getting into a game huzzah, but theresonly 3 of us and the dm, so which classes would you pick? we;re starting off all 3.5 and then converting over to 4th at some point. Anyway its more a point of discussion and the start of possible geeky debate on advantages and disadvantages since i have no way of influencing the other two players in any way as they are complete strangers :D still i;m sure if theres any really good points i'll talk to them about it!

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

I'd say rogue, cleric, wizard from the core rule book. You'd have a tough time, and the cleric would have to be your main-line melee character. After level one, the rogue can multiclass into fighter, because your relying on trapfinding, not backstabbing or other rogue abilities.

If your using other books, the beguiler from Player's Handbook II could replace the rogue and wizard, and in that case it would be beguiler, fighter, cleric. That's because the beguiler also has trapfinding, which is why you have a rogue.

Of course, I don't care for fighters, so I'm biased.

#3 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Come 4th Edition, it shouldn't matter as much. Until then...

Three clerics: Let's get it out of the way. A party of all clerics, with a nice spread of domains, should cover all your gaps from the get go, no matter what your party size. Three druids could do almost just as well, especially since they'd probably have a wolf each.

Three bards: Don't laugh. They'll have a ton of skills, and a good spread of spells, including healing. They can go stealth, if necessary, or fight their way through, backed up with bardic music. If they encounter magical items, there's a chance they'll be able to activate them. Downside: no direct conversion to 4th Edition.

Avoid rogues. Unless your DM is looking out for them, they might very well end up with no traps to disable, no locks to pick, and no creatures susceptible to sneak attack. Even if the creatures can be sneak attacked, a rogue in a party of three will have fewer opportunities for flanking. Even if there are traps, there are usually ways to deal with them (see below).

Summon, charm, or command creatures and NPCs: Make sure the spellcasters have some spells that can tip the odds a bit, by adding to your ranks and taking away from the enemy's. If you have an extra cleric (see above) and can avoid doctrinal disputes, have him be one that rebukes and commands undead rather than turning and destroying them. Controlled or summoned creatures are nice for finding and "disarming" traps, charmed creatures less so.

For your arcane caster, I'd really recommend a sorcerer, assuming bard is off the table. It's not hard to pick good utility spells, and with fewer characters he'll probably need to cast more often. Plus, with access to simple weapons he can always break out a longspear and help a little bit with melee. Also not directly convertible in 4th Edition, but probably easy enough to make into a wizard or warlock.

I'm biased for fighters, so I'd recommend one. They have the potential to be able to end minor fights quickly, without expenditure of spells or many hitpoints. I advise both ranged and melee feats instead of one or the other. If you really can't see using a fighter, use a ranger or paladin, since they can help with the healing if wands or scrolls are found.

Your choice of races should be considered as well: I recommend one elf since, no matter his class, he can bring a longsword or longbow to bear. Bring a dwarf for darkvision.

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

I have to say it would depend on the adventure. I would say that you would need at least a Fighter, possibly a Rogue and then perhaps a Cleric of the Magic deity. That should get you access to some arcane stuff depending on the setting.

Alternatively, run 3 of the base classes and get yourself an NPC Cleric or something :) Or give the Rogue a wand of cure light!

Hal :hal:

#5 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

Paladin x3. Bring it evil.

#6 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

I have to say it would depend on the adventure.

Yes, and the DM. I don't like to punish players for playing what they want to play, which in my current game has led me to alter encounters (which I have to alter anyway for a larger than expected number of players) to include more creatures that are not immune to critical hits and sneak attacks.

Talk to your DM. He might enjoy altering the adventure to account not only for a smaller party, but for an unusual collection of classes.

#7 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

Paladin x3. Bring it evil.

We actualy did that once. It was seriously fun :). We had the pacifist paladin (mine), the militant paladin and the "pink paladin of love in all it's forms" who's rather liberal views caused the other two to question his lawful alignment status.

#8 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

I like paladins!

For my 3 I'd probably go for paladin, beguiler and possibly a ranger/scout.

#9 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:48 PM

Our paladin party had 6 paladins from different cultures, and it was almost straight culture clash. Best part was the paladin in danger of becoming NG telling the Paladin that was in danger of becoming LN "A little less lawful, a little more good"

#10 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

I remember we had a party of three dwarfs once. One was a fighter/thief with climbing gear, lots of high tech equipment and a huge bowie knife. One was a master crossbowman and the other was a regular fighter. The two fighters would set up a load/swap routine to bypass the loading times (the fighter loaded while the crossbowman shot and then they'd swap crossbows). We only did it once (against a flying monster we couldn't reach in a cave, I think it might've been a levitating npc but it was 2nd edition so nothing recent).

We once played a party of four dwarfs and two gnomes. That was a nice themed party "the short party". I'm almost surprised nobody's jokingly suggested three bards.

#11 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

I'm almost surprised nobody's jokingly suggested three bards.

I suggested it, but not jokingly.

#12 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

IMHO Fighter, Thief and Mage

#13 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:01 AM

IMHO Fighter, Thief and Mage

And lots of potions? Yup. Probably the best option at lvl 1. Higher level some multiclassing to clerics is good.

But the beguiler being able to be, in essense the thief and the mage (albeit without backstab) does allow flexibility. Similarly the paladin having clerical abilities can help.

And of course in 4th edition all the above goes out the window anyway! :)

#14 Boonide

Boonide

Stirge

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

Fighter/Mage/Thief, Mage/Cleric, and a Fighter/Thief.

Oh wait... wrong system. That and it just makes things even more complicated...

Yeah, I regret missing out on an opportunity to play a Mage/Cleric in a pen and paper game.

It was my favourite class in Baldur's Gate.

#15 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, I regret missing out on an opportunity to play a Mage/Cleric in a pen and paper game.

Yeah but to do that you had to be a half elf and even then you were limited to 5-8 levels in each class dependant on your intelligence and wisdom scores (5-7 for one class, 6-8 for t'other).

#16 Boonide

Boonide

Stirge

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:41 PM

Yeah but to do that you had to be a half elf and even then you were limited to 5-8 levels in each class dependant on your intelligence and wisdom scores (5-7 for one class, 6-8 for t'other).

But twice as many spells for twice as much experience requirement!

It's a surefire win scenario! =D

#17 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

And not the least bit munchkinie

#18 The_Nalic

The_Nalic

Goblin

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBradford, W. Yorks

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

I was thinking of playing a dwarf rogue but more of an outdoor scout type with more climb, ropeuse and so forth type skills but with the inevitabe lock picking and trap finding skills. I'd play a ranger if they could disable traps and had more skills! UMD is going to come in pretty handy in a small party, especially against stuff you cant sneak attack, wands of magic missile or similar or scrolls of utility spells would be top. Also thinking of a dwarf war/frontline cleric with combat casting and some decent armour. I'd hope that 4th will introduce rangers that can sopt and disarm traps (they can set snares but not disarm them? cmon) and clerics well clerics are pretty diverse as you say. Earth domain for a dwarf cleric might be fun and come in pretty handy if we run into elementals which can seriously damage your health. After hearing the cleric in tomb of haggemoth use stoneshape in the variety of ways it does seem more useful than you;d think. Paladins always are a problem for me, there spells dont come til later they dont get many skill points really and you need stunning stats to achieve all the classes potential, again hopefully something they will sort out a bit in 4th!

#19 Boonide

Boonide

Stirge

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:14 AM

And not the least bit munchkinie

Why yes, I do represent the lollipop guild.

#20 Phneri

Phneri

Goblin

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

if it were me I'd go with a cleric multi-class (cleric rogues are tasty, as well as monk/cleric/sacred fist cheese for 3.5, but that takes many a level), A druid (pet for combat, druid for combat, divine casting, as wild shape for those instances where you need a character with a fly spell or the ability to breather water), and probably a ranger or barbarian instead of a fighter, to allow more access to skills. Might I recommend a barbarian monkey-gripping an over-sized two handed weapon for absurd damage potential?

Druid could easily be swapped out for a wizard if the cleric keeps enough casting power to cover the healing, and a summoner of some description could be nice with a small party.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge