#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:49 AM

OK! Having skipped a week for a tribute to Mr Gygax the 20 Weeks crew are back up and running with Paranoia XP from Mongoose Publishing.

Paranoia XP One Off and Discussion

Filesize: 104MB

I have to say that I do love Paranoia a big fat lot - especially when Fin runs it as the last game of the 24 hour! He is such a funny man on no sleep :)

Community Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 jabonko

jabonko

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

Maybe I'm just paranoid, myself... but... where is week #6?

#3 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

Maybe I'm just paranoid, myself... but... where is week #6?

Week #6 was a remembrance of Gary.

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:17 AM

I'm sure I said that :)

Hal :hal:

#5 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:52 AM

We actully played DnD for week six.. but about 50% of the session is us looking up Rules.. as quite frankly, we are NOT expirenced when it comes to DnD sadly.

Something were looking to change with 4th edition as its quite exciting.

#6 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:54 AM

Oh yeah.. Might get alot of flames for our final summation for Paranoia..

But our reasons were this.. It's abit overly complicated and clunky for a modern comedy game, and its source material is way way out of date. Its also very expensive for a game that should only be ran maybe a few times before it gets old.

#7 jabonko

jabonko

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

Oh yeah.. Might get alot of flames for our final summation for Paranoia...

Really? I know you said it was very clunky, but I didn't think you said anything offensive or just plain mean.

As for the system being clunky, I didn't get that feel from listening (I've never played the game). If the rules got in the way of the game, you guys did a great job hiding it: I never once felt the game breakdown into "ummm... let's see... roll this, but modify it thusly, or just roll that and then do this..."

However, I did agree with what was said about the storyline being crunchy. The chase scene was fun to listen to, but I got the feeling it was more like a choose-your-own-adventure at that point than a wild and crazy chase scene.

#8 20WeeksofHell

20WeeksofHell

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:45 AM

Shane here.

The system was very simple in a way, just rolling a d20 to get under a score, however, there were far more skills than necessary, way more equipment than readily dealt with, a damage system that was hard to actually grasp- I read over the relevant section several times and still wasn't sure I was doing it right. For a game that is likely to be a one shot, do we REALLY need a difference between a mechanic skill and a nuclear engineering skill?

So, its not JUST system, but the setting around the system that requires you to read so much garbage that you feel like your trying to remember 2nd edition D&D's equipment list to run a game of Loony Tunes: a whole lot of work and investment for very little gain.

While the book itself gives advice to ignore the rules when they get in the way of fun and to never get into a rules argument with the GM, its the same as other games advice that the GM is there to balance the game: it means that the system is 'weak' and can't actually provide any form of balance or that the rules actually were tailored to support the game that will be played.

So, while I enjoyed running Paranoia, I felt as if it was a very clunky, outdated, and expensive game. An actual rewrite of the game, throwing out bad mechanical ideas (complex skills and long equipment lists), updating the setting (less Commie, more enemies of Freedom), and less text intensive set up could lead to the book being easier to read, usable quickly, and relevant modern satire.

#9 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:11 AM

Let us not forget that this game was also one of Fin's comedy master strokes of GM'ing

Part 1
http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... tit&lid=91

Part 2
http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... tit&lid=92

#10 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

I enjoyed this one! :)

I've liked all the 20 weeks stuff to be honest! Any reason it's stuck on 7, or is it Hal slacking again? :P

#11 20WeeksofHell

20WeeksofHell

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

No, this one can be chalked up firmly to Nick finding gainful employment. We have two more in the can, half of the next recorded. We're moving towards a more relaxed pace with the project. We'll probably be playing some unrecorded 4th edition, with hopefully some sporadic updates in the summer when the mood takes us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge