Fkewl

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationBrossard, QC, Canada

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:23 AM

Greetings from Quebec, Canada !

I would like to thank Hal, Lindsay and the gang (both WLD and LOL/TOH) for hours of enjoyment and laughter during my morning and evening hour and a half commute home. This keeps me sane through the tribulation of riding a bus, a metro and walking to/from work.

Since TOH, i started playing AD&D 2nd Ed in a group and couldn't wait to record the session. And last session (ep.7) i did just that ! The recordings, for any interested are here : http://cid-e71f61c1c...rdale Episode 7

Can't wait to follow the adventures of Raggeamajar, Brave Brave Milo and Grogan the almost Intelligent on the island of RamallaDingDong.

#2 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

this was the best first post by someone in the history of the world...

#3 Manboat

Manboat

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

I'm not sure it was the best fist post.

#4 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:03 AM

Most people will miss the fact that the post praising the "fist post" was edited and your joke will go entirely unappreciated for all eternity. Doesn't that make you sad? :wink:

#5 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

Most people will miss the fact that the post praising the "fist post" was edited and your joke will go entirely unappreciated for all eternity. Doesn't that make you sad? :wink:

That's why you should always quote... :)

#6 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

cut me some slack. I'm high on painkillers after having a took extracted yesterday...

#7 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

cut me some slack. I'm high on painkillers after having a took extracted yesterday...

And where exactly did they have to remove this ski hat from?

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

And where exactly did they have to remove this ski hat from?

Hey, Canadian-specific humour! Always nice to see the Commonwealth getting some love :D

#9 Bazorkin

Bazorkin

Stirge

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

Man, when I saw TOH I thought of Tomb of Horrors.
Someone should definitley record a game session of that.
Hmm, none of my players are old school D&Ders. They would have no idea of the carnage and terror that await.

#10 Qwaz

Qwaz

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:29 AM

Man, when I saw TOH I thought of Tomb of Horrors.
Someone should definitley record a game session of that.
Hmm, none of my players are old school D&Ders. They would have no idea of the carnage and terror that await.

Never played it. I've just heard the, if you'll forgive me, horror stories. :roll:

#11 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

If anybody is forced to play the character grinder Tomb of Horrors, print out this page.

You need to start: 1 magic ring of any type you can part with, 3 swords, bag of holding, cleric memorizing multiple command spells.

1. Take the middle tunnel. You're gonna have to dig it out, but the other two are dead end death traps.

2. 40ft on the western side is the secret door to the rest of the adventure. Do not pull the lever you find, it opens the trap door underneath you. Break the plaster apart, it reveals the door.

3. Follow the corrider till the next room, you'll get jumped by a 4-armed gargoyle. Kill it and take the east facing door. It's a 10x10 square room, there a a series of three secret doors to the south, each with a different way of opening. Doors are found in direction: S, S, S, W, N, W, W

4. Open the doors as follows: pull down, pivot the door centrally, pull in and up at the bottom, slide up, pull double panels in, slide left, push all the buttons.

5. In the room of orbs, walk through the illusionary wall that has the black sphere. Take the tunnel until it dead ends, find the secret door.

6. Southeast corner is secret door. Everything else is trapped. Find hole in secret door, insert magic ring.

7. Open next three doors, there are pit traps on the other sides of them. Third pit trap has secret door at bottom. Set off trap with weapon or pole, descend into pit and use door.

8. First staircase in the corridor to the east is secret door. It's magically warded, so have the thief take 20 to find it.

9. In room pour out acid from middle jar take key half, open east vat and kill gelationous cube and take key half. Put them together. Secret door in next room is in SW corner facing west.

10. Take stairs down, at end of stairs 20ft from base is very large pit trap. Deliberately trigger with reach weapon if possible, descend into 30' pit. You can walk between the spikes. Stop twenty feet in pit, find pressure trap and disarm.

11. 50ft from end of hall is secret door to the north.

12. In room search and disable the earthquake trap, use magical fire to burn away the green slime tapestries.

13. At crossroads of corriders is trap. Take northern fork.

14. Secret door at end of corridor, then again immediately after door on the W. Door at end of winding secret passages opens with 3 swords inserted.

15. At the throne in the south take the scepter. Touch silver end of scepter to crown inscription on throne, open secret door. Get bronze key on stairs. To open doors at end of passage insert gold end of scepter into depression.

16. Pull statue out of way in NW, find secret door.

17. When corridor turns N, look for secret door S. Open with key you found.

18. Have thief disable trap on keyhole. Insert gold key. Second key that opens insert bronze key, turn key clockwise 3 turns, immediately retreat back to party as floor begins to rise.

19. Kill ghost that attacks, during fight have cleric cast command spell on demilich. Thief stuffs demilich in bag of holding, cut bag. Loss bag of holding, demilich is now Githyanki's problem.

20. Loot with unbridled glee, do not take the cursed spear or 2 cursed longswords.

God I hate this idiotic module.

#12 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

If anybody is forced to play the character grinder Tomb of Horrors, print out this page.

You need to start: 1 magic ring of any type you can part with, 3 swords, bag of holding, cleric memorizing multiple command spells.

1. Take the middle tunnel. You're gonna have to dig it out, but the other two are dead end death traps.

2. 40ft on the western side is the secret door to the rest of the adventure. Do not pull the lever you find, it opens the trap door underneath you. Break the plaster apart, it reveals the door.

3. Follow the corrider till the next room, you'll get jumped by a 4-armed gargoyle. Kill it and take the east facing door. It's a 10x10 square room, there a a series of three secret doors to the south, each with a different way of opening. Doors are found in direction: S, S, S, W, N, W, W

4. Open the doors as follows: pull down, pivot the door centrally, pull in and up at the bottom, slide up, pull double panels in, slide left, push all the buttons.

5. In the room of orbs, walk through the illusionary wall that has the black sphere. Take the tunnel until it dead ends, find the secret door.

6. Southeast corner is secret door. Everything else is trapped. Find hole in secret door, insert magic ring.

7. Open next three doors, there are pit traps on the other sides of them. Third pit trap has secret door at bottom. Set off trap with weapon or pole, descend into pit and use door.

8. First staircase in the corridor to the east is secret door. It's magically warded, so have the thief take 20 to find it.

9. In room pour out acid from middle jar take key half, open east vat and kill gelationous cube and take key half. Put them together. Secret door in next room is in SW corner facing west.

10. Take stairs down, at end of stairs 20ft from base is very large pit trap. Deliberately trigger with reach weapon if possible, descend into 30' pit. You can walk between the spikes. Stop twenty feet in pit, find pressure trap and disarm.

11. 50ft from end of hall is secret door to the north.

12. In room search and disable the earthquake trap, use magical fire to burn away the green slime tapestries.

13. At crossroads of corriders is trap. Take northern fork.

14. Secret door at end of corridor, then again immediately after door on the W. Door at end of winding secret passages opens with 3 swords inserted.

15. At the throne in the south take the scepter. Touch silver end of scepter to crown inscription on throne, open secret door. Get bronze key on stairs. To open doors at end of passage insert gold end of scepter into depression.

16. Pull statue out of way in NW, find secret door.

17. When corridor turns N, look for secret door S. Open with key you found.

18. Have thief disable trap on keyhole. Insert gold key. Second key that opens insert bronze key, turn key clockwise 3 turns, immediately retreat back to party as floor begins to rise.

19. Kill ghost that attacks, during fight have cleric cast command spell on demilich. Thief stuffs demilich in bag of holding, cut bag. Loss bag of holding, demilich is now Githyanki's problem.

20. Loot with unbridled glee, do not take the cursed spear or 2 cursed longswords.

God I hate this idiotic module.

Lol

#13 Nightbird

Nightbird

Runic Skald

• Patrons
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

Thief stuffs demilich in bag of holding, cut bag. Loss bag of holding, demilich is now Githyanki's problem.

And considering the exotic...tastes of their queen its going to be the Githyanki's problem for a very very long time.

#14 Bazorkin

Bazorkin

Stirge

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

#15 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

By the way, my players read this forum, thank you for posting a spoiler for the entire thing so I can't run it for them now.
Thank you very much.

Jackass.

dude, that's like getting pissed off that someone spoiled Titanic for you by telling you the boat sank, or ruined King Kong for you by telling you the ape dies at the end. There is a statute of limitations on this shit man. Tomb of Horrors has been around since what, before I was freaking born???

#16 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Tomb of Horrors is a terrible module with no redeeming qualities. There is no reason for any party interactivity, just trap after trap after trap. Too many times the module just says 'die no save', despite repeated admonitions from the DMG regarding that same statement. It's just a meat grinder for DMs who don't like their parties. The treasure is minimal, the XP is pathetic, and the risk is far too great for a module that lethal. This thing chews up epic parties but it says it's designed for level 9. For what, a +3 Sword and less than 20k in gold. Oh, and some potions.

You can take the module with a cleric and a thief. Two guys. In the quick run there's what, three monsters that aren't the lich? And all of them are pretty much aced instantly by the party. The Demilich is immune to nearly every spell a 9th level wizard or cleric could possibly have. It can't be backstabbed, it's got DR20 for the fighters, and it can't be turned. It negates every possibly angle of attack the party might have, unless you can manage to have the 9th level wizard cast power word kill FIVE FRELLING TIMES on the lich before his soul is sucked, which is the first thing that happens.

This module is broken beyond compare, it's not fun for the party when they walk in, have everything they could possibly do it nerfed, and get to sit and watch for several rounds as they inevitably get munchkined to death by one of the worst ideas in D&D since a guy put a bunny on a man eating tree stump. There are dozens of 9th level modules that are actually fun to play with your party.

White Plume Mountain, Against the Giants, Slave Lord series, Desert of Desolation series, Temple of Elemental Evil, and the Avatar Trilogy are all great modules that didn't suck.

#17 Bazorkin

Bazorkin

Stirge

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Well, maybe it largely is nostalgia that makes me have such fond recollections of this particular dungeon crawl.
You should understand, I was twelve when this came out. the illustrations, the fiendish traps, the idea that you couldn't get back out whenever you wanted to to heal up, all these things made it really bleak and cool.
Maybe its different when played under 3e but under AD&D it was absolutely no cakewalk. With no 'take 20' or skills and no optional spells or rules it was very very hard.
Granted, I liked Great Barrier Peaks and White Plume Mountain more.
My favorite module from this series was The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. It came with its own monster book, for cryin' out loud.
To say Tomb of Horrors is broken beyond compare and no fun, I have to wonder if you've ever actually played through it?
I had a very good time with it, granted, I was twelve and it may not hold up well in the light of modern gaming but back then, when it all was new, this was a fun and awesome module.
Well, mileage may vary but it is a classic.

#18 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

I've played through several times, usually as a thief because that was my class de joir back in 1st edition. I later finished it as a paladin, fighter and bard. I've never liked the module, TPK dungeon crawls don't entertain me. Mainly because it was boring to a lot of the party, then grossly unfair to them at the end. Nothing screams bad module like a boss monster that invalidates half of the party, sometimes more.

The module was a tourney module, and it reflects that. You go through the dungeon blindly exploring hitting numerous traps. Except for the fact you have to immobilize the creature with a spell at the end, thieves could take this module blindfolded. There's few monsters for the fighters to fighter, the wizard doesn't have much to do, and the cleric isn't needed until the very end. And when you get to the end the only person that you need to do anything is the cleric for that command spell. For the most part, the party can't hurt the damned thing because he's immune to everything except a few spells you don't have.

Yes I can show off how awesome my character (a thief/acrobat first time around) by jumping that 30' spiked trap with little effort, but he can do that any time he wants to in any module. The module almost always breaks down into 'we walk 10ft, we search for traps & secret doors', wash, rinse repeat. Gratuitious death traps does not a great module make.

White Plume Mountain was a great dungeon crawl with challenging traps (I still hate those discs on chains), decent treasure (not overwhelming, but at least enough to make the adventure worth it), and one very out of place funpark revolving door. I loved WPM, I'd still play it. Beyond the Barrier Peaks was a fun one, but usually you had to one shot because of all the crap you found that could unbalance the game. And a druid makes the module a walkthrough because of all the damned veggie pygmies. I've had loads more fun playing B10: Dark Night's Terror than I've had trying to find the right secret door in ToH.

#19 Bazorkin

Bazorkin

Stirge

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

Out of curiousity, what did you think of Return to the Tomb of Horrors?
I thought it was a very well-produced and beautifully illustrated boxed set. I've used it a few times in superhero games that I run.
I'll fully admit that I do love White Plume Mountain more. It would make a pretty damned good movie when its all said and done with some awesome visual moments like the inverted pyramid, the lava tube, and the spinning fire hallway.

#20 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

Too honest, TPK munchkin fest. It does add a lot more monsters than the first one, but it's still mile after mile of deathtrap. Too many traps had 'can't be brought back except with wish'. Managed to win Return TOH in some raffle, it really didn't impress me. Epic style modules tend to boil down to horrific amounts of high powered baddies in one area, which tends to stretch credibility for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge