#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

A favourite game around there here parts :) Should be interesting to see what other folks make of it :P

Call of Cthulhu One Off and Discsussion

Let the madness ensue :)

Hal :hal:

#2 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

Horror, my personal favorite genre followed by Superheroes.

It was a blast to run this game, espically getting to induldge my poor neglected dark and twisted side. :twisted:

#3 jabonko

jabonko

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

dark and twisted side. :twisted:

geez you weren't kidding! Your descriptions were great. And by great I mean they made me cringe and have to stop playback for a couple seconds here and there.

#4 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:50 AM

dark and twisted side. :twisted:

geez you weren't kidding! Your descriptions were great. And by great I mean they made me cringe and have to stop playback for a couple seconds here and there.

yeah.. I do have a reputation among my friends of sometimes going overboard.. but.. as Stephen King said.. "I will attempt to scare you, if I can't scare you, I'll attempt to Horrify you, if I can't horrify you, I'll at least attempt to Gross you out"

#5 sonoma3

sonoma3

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

some how I missed this audio when i was working my way through the 20 weeks of hell audio. I have to say this may be the best AP or gaming session I have ever heard.

The players seemed to all be on top of things and played their characters well. the movie referces seemed natural and did not detract from the game, and instead I felt that it help to build up a kind of disbelief that jack would be so evil.

As one of the players said the juxtaposition between light comedy and gruesome horror made the game even more horrific.

on a more mechanical note I tend to agree with the hellboys on the bada mechanics of the game. The gumshoe system and trial of Cthulhu fix pretty much all the problems i have with the game.

#6 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

6th edition now? I assume it's still basicaly Runequest* with a slightly different magic system (and an insanity system, the first game I know of to actualy have one).

*Just like every other Chaosium game.

Listenning to the comments I disagree that the combat was an afterthought. Runequest, Call of the Cthulhu, Stormbringer & Elric all use the same rules system.

Runequest (the progenitor) was much more combat heavy and the writers got a bit obsessive about the weapon stats.

Call of the Cthulhlu works better as an investigative system because it uses combat rules designed for characters wearing light to medium armour and using mostly melee weapons. In COC, the monsters are basicaly statted up to face such parties in order to make the monsters very deadly for the players to face.

I don't think the combat rules in COC were an afterthought, I think they just made yet another game using the same rules system and didn't bother to check if the combat rules needed changing to suit the setting. Although I suspect that leaving the monsters that powerful was probably intentional.

#7 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

6th edition now? I assume it's still basicaly Runequest* with a slightly different magic system.

Your assumption is utterly incorrect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge