#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

In this session from 20 Weeks of Hell we are looking at Mutant Chronicles by Target Games :)

Mutant Chronicles One Off and Discussion

Community Podcast Updated

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#2 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

Running an "A-team" Themed game of Mutant Chronicles was a blast. I'd run this game again with a few house rule clean ups.

#3 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

Personally my favorite before I listened to the Call of Cthulhu :cthulhu: but I wish you wouldn't edit out all the out of play asides sometimes thats the best part. :D

#4 The_Emerald_Flame

The_Emerald_Flame

Stirge

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:01 AM

I certainly liked this one. i wouldn't mind hearing more adventures using this system.

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

...I wish you wouldn't edit out all the out of play asides sometimes thats the best part. :D

Just as well that we don't follow suit at Whartson Hall or we'd have nothing to record :D

#6 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Oh no BJB you guys stay on task very well :roll:

#7 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Quick question: how long does the section at the club go? I'd like to just skip that, and any other similar sections, if possible.

#8 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:29 AM

I don't recall off the top of my head I belive its around 20 minutes or so.. Thats the only real racyness in the Mutant Chronicles game session.

That being said.. I would advise you to skip the Call of Cthulu session as its quite explicit, espically the finale scene which involves cultists engaging in a gruesome bloody orgiastic rite.

#9 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

That being said.. I would advise you to skip the Call of Cthulu session as its quite explicit, espically the finale scene which involves cultists engaging in a gruesome bloody orgiastic rite.

Thanks for the tip.

#10 Shawn

Shawn

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hi im Shawn one of the voices you here on this pod cast. *waves*

Personally my favorite before I listened to the Call of Cthulhu :cthulhu: but I wish you wouldn't edit out all the out of play asides sometimes thats the best part. :D

As far as the play asides; this is the only time we have removed something that wasn't just one of the player going to the bathroom, and us stopping for a few minutes.

#11 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

I should convince Nick to actully put up that game of DnD we attempted.

Its more of us looking up the rules and bitching, then actully playing.

#12 Nauthiz

Nauthiz

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCold Snowy Michigan.... *sigh*

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

I try not to edit too much :D

Any asides that are actually asides, I tend to leave in. However I don't think anybody wants to listen to 5 minutes of rustling around trying to hunt down the dry erase markers :wink:

Course I could be wrong!

#13 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Any asides that are actually asides, I tend to leave in. However I don't think anybody wants to listen to 5 minutes of rustling around trying to hunt down the dry erase markers :wink:

Course I could be wrong!

Rustling and dry erase markers are audio heaven. :D

#14 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hearing the review bit at the end I must say it sounds like they based two wargames on it. Warzone: Mutant Chronicles and Chronopia.

Target went out of business. Some other company (possibly Urban Mammoth) picked up a bit of their stuff.

The rest (Warzone, Chronopia & Mutant Chronicles) went to some small american company who didn't really bother top advertise it outside the single state they were based in.

So Chronopia pretty much died within 2 months of me picking it up and wanting to play it in the late 90's :(.

That company went bust last year or the year before and Fantasy Flight Games or some other company expressed an interest in buying the Mutant Chronicles licence as a random pack, prepainted plastics mass distribution game. They weren't interested in the rest.

I don't think Keltos (Urban Mammoth's first game) was originaly based on any Target stuff but now Urban Mammoth support Urban War (their skirmish game) and don't really support Keltos anymore. Keltos has also been through 1 or 2 company breakups and changes of hands.

From what I recall the Chronopia rules were "roll low on a d20, a 1 is a critical, a 20 is a fumble". And the elves and goblins were rediculously underpriced and the dwarfs were too expensive in points to be effective. The rules ahd a sort of action system with alternate activation, or singke activation.

The character creation sounds like it was heavily influenced by Traveller.

#15 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

Mutant Chronicles was a very increadible detailed setting, and was evocative of what we've come to expirence with European made RPG's.

Folks across the Pond seem to have a thing for Gritty Dystopic Futures over there. I enjoy them myself as a Game Master as well.

Mutant Chronicles was alot of fun to run, and my players enjoyed playing it. These days though as I said, I'd use a much more streamlined system, but for it's time I wouldn't call Mutant Chronicles a "Bad" game. Not at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge