• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

It's why I usually play magicians in other systems - they are both powerful and have lots of tools in the toolkit to be creative with. I hate being the dumb brawler - the proverbial man with a hammer looking for a nail to hit.

Which also makes him the world's most nightmarish player;) Just hit the bloody nail damn you!

There's a another side to this April (and thanks for the comments and hope your dad is doing well) It's a blast to run Dogs too:)
Once you have created the town and a few plot points for the Dogs to ride into, you can pretty much sit back and watch the action. It's like having someone create a play or film right before your eyes, very cool.

It has the same advantage as Deadlands too: everyone has seen a Western movie at some point, so pretty much everyone knows what the style of the game is going to be from the get go. That doesn't mean to say the players can't give it some really interesting twists and tweeks, but at least everyone starts on the same page and nobody has to feel out of their depth.

I'm sure it's a game we will come back to at some point. In fact chaps , it might be a good one to take down to the expo in June?

#42 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

I loved listening to you guys play Dogs and it sounded great fun to play, but the dice betting mechanics confused the hell out of me. :?

#43 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

I loved listening to you guys play Dogs and it sounded great fun to play, but the dice betting mechanics confused the hell out of me. :?

Well as I said, I might pack the game for the expo, so if you're coming along this year Isis you can try the game first hand:)
Although, I think it's only fair to warn you that Seabeast and The Weasel are attending this year!

#44 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

...it's only fair to warn everybody that Seabeast and The Weasel are attending this year!

Edited to correct your oversight :D

#45 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

Big RPGmp3 meetup! :D

#46 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:26 AM

Big RPGmp3 meetup! :D

Fab :D We're all heading down on the Friday to get in some early gaming. So far I think most of us have games booked throughout Saturday. Then it's off for a slap up binge at the world famous (well, world famous in my little head) Johnny Wongs Chinese emporium. Then more gaming, this time we brought our own group never mind the game lol.
Maybe we can persuade the Yoggies to join in the frollicks?

#47 CrazyMLC

CrazyMLC

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hm.... I'm liking it so far.
But for some reason I'm thinking every instance of 'virgin' should be replaced with 'vixen'.

#48 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

I'm a little behind the crowd listening to this one but have just very much enjoyed the first session.

To echo the above comments: Great intro, good people! :D Nicely evocative and mood setting before the, ahem, pre-amble kicks in! ;)

Very nice showcase of how the game works too. I can see how it could be a little confusing, this system, when you first read it in the rulebook but this session goes a long way to helping clarify things. As indeed does Mr Weasel's post above!

Roll on session 2! :D

#49 Nishastra

Nishastra

Raven

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

This is the one Whartson Hall game I can't listen to a second time.

Sara's "accent" and the general (...ly absurd) nature of her character (which seems totally contrary to the character as it was described at the start) makes me want to hit things with my head :P

It's fine otherwise, but good god!

#50 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

That's interesting... I'll try to remember to cycle back with some comments from my side once I've listened to all the sessions.

It might take me a while though as I only listen to podcasts while commuting... Plus I do have the memory of a fish! But still, one day I SHALL return... With THOUGHTS!

:D

#51 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

This is the one Whartson Hall game I can't listen to a second time.

Sara's "accent" and the general (...ly absurd) nature of her character (which seems totally contrary to the character as it was described at the start) makes me want to hit things with my head :P

It's fine otherwise, but good god!

Yes, I think I can only apologise for everyone's accents when we try to be American.

It's so far back, I can't remember, but don't tell me Sara tried something other than a lesbian ninja?! 8O

#52 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:08 AM

No-no, she was playing a religious thug as is right and proper. She did steer pretty directly towards the 'soiled doves' though. :wink:

It's an immensely enjoyable game. I remember the individual characters' introductory scenes/conflicts as being particularly good.

#53 Nishastra

Nishastra

Raven

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:12 AM

Yes, I think I can only apologise for everyone's accents when we try to be American.

I generally enjoy any accent, no matter how absurd. Indeed, the more absurd the better! It was probably as much the character itself as the accent that bugged me :P

It's so far back, I can't remember, but don't tell me Sara tried something other than a lesbian ninja?!

I know, it's hard to believe. In that setting, however, I'd think that both lesbians and ninjas would have to be very secretive, so if she was both, she'd probably be so good at hiding it that you'd never even suspect.

In the introduction, her character was a full-blooded mountain person who had converted. Her initial conflict led her to feel that it's wrong to forcefully convert people, and that they should just be allowed to follow what they want.

Then, in the actual game, she seems to want to kill any non-believers outright except for whores who she wants to force to marry men back home :P

Also, there's no mention at all of her being a mountain person except for once late in the game where it's mentioned offhand (in describing her character to Emma, if I recall) that there's a bit of the look of the mountain people about her.

#54 Pheonix

Pheonix

Olde Farte Gamer

• Patrons
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

Sounds like my kinda woman! :D

#55 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

Nishastra, to be honest if the players are having fun then I usually enjoy listening! Changes to character like the one you mentioned just wash over me (you might remember that memory of a fish I have...). Always nice to hear different views though. :)

As for accents, well matey, I could subject you to my efforts at an American accent but then you'd need to make a SAN roll! 2d20 I reckon! :D

#56 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

I do very, very few accents myself; and even fewer intentionally :D

#57 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

In defense of the Whartsies, while none of them does a brilliant American accent, none of them are quite as painful to my ears as the one Nikki does in the CWR recordings. Which is somewhat humorous since she's a Hoosier... :wink:

#58 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:26 AM

No one's American accent makes me cringe half as much as Fin's 'Lun-dan Een-gul-and' accent.

Though I have to say so far his Texan in Shadows by Gaslight has been quite restrained. :)

#59 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:36 AM

I generally enjoy any accent, no matter how absurd. Indeed, the more absurd the better! It was probably as much the character itself as the accent that bugged me :P

It's so far back, I can't remember, but don't tell me Sara tried something other than a lesbian ninja?!

I know, it's hard to believe. In that setting, however, I'd think that both lesbians and ninjas would have to be very secretive, so if she was both, she'd probably be so good at hiding it that you'd never even suspect.

In the introduction, her character was a full-blooded mountain person who had converted. Her initial conflict led her to feel that it's wrong to forcefully convert people, and that they should just be allowed to follow what they want.

Then, in the actual game, she seems to want to kill any non-believers outright except for whores who she wants to force to marry men back home :P

Also, there's no mention at all of her being a mountain person except for once late in the game where it's mentioned offhand (in describing her character to Emma, if I recall) that there's a bit of the look of the mountain people about her.

Lots of ggod points in there. I'd have to say as for Sara not following her character concept that's at least as much my fault as the player's. I think I was so busy learning the rules on the fly that I neglected to push the plot to challenge Sara as much as perhaps I should have. But, as Jomster rightly points out, the players were undoubtedly having fun as was I. So maybe this is a case of letting things run where they will and let folks have fun :)

I'm also surprised at how many people have enjoyed listening to the sessions. This is a game that can lead to a lot of re-sceneing (is that even a word?) and altering of the story, which is fun around the table and lets us generate loads of cool moments, but I'm not sure it lends itself to being the greatest listening experience.

Dogs remains one of my favourite games we've tackled at the Hall. It is very goal specific and leads everything in to conflicy in one way or another , so it wouldn't suit every game. But for running high stakes- high drama scenarios i think it's wonderful.

Glad you're all enjoying it :D

#60 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

Cycling back as promised!

Well the accents were, ahem, interesting and some of the characters did wonder a bit from their initial conception... But it was great fun I thought and so I was happy. Particularly pleased to see how the system worked to make situations interesting through the challenges, seeing, raising etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge