woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

As often as I can, Love.

In the Face. :twisted:

I can't be entirely certain, but I do believe that a line of some description has been crossed here.

#25 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

As often as I can, Love.

In the Face. :twisted:

I can't be entirely certain, but I do believe that a line of some description has been crossed here.

I think it was crossed the first time Thing posted on this site. :D

#26 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

I have a wierd vision defect where I only recognise lines in the rearview mirror.

#27 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:47 AM

Weasel sent along a link I'd missed, as it's been a while since I read anything over at The Forge. It pointed to a discussion of Dogs in the Vineyard and mentioned our sessions. This quote is rather telling, I feel:

It was just a lost effort in the end. When i originally pitched the idea of Dogs in the Vineyard my "killer dog" was really excited because he had listened to a podcast group called "Warston [sic] Hall" play through a five session adventure on www.RPGMP3.com . I think that's where we're getting off to the wrong page.

Yes indeed, if you're using us as any sort of model then I'm afraid the wrong page is the very best you can hope for. Sorry about that.

The full thread is over here for anyone interested. We really ought to get back to this game, but there are so many others on the list: We're getting towards the end of our cyberpunk adventure using the Sorcerer rules; I'm poised to throw the group into the Hollow Earth Expedition; Weasel has started us on, of all things, an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition game; there's still Blue Devil's Passages waiting for its fifteen minutes of ignomy; and Gregor Hutton has very generously sent us a PDF of his new 3:16 RPG, not to mention Solipsist which I bought at the UK games Expo. Not enough days in the week...

I think that Hal might still have a few of our games in the archive, so I'll check when he returns from N'Orleans :D

#28 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

Are you not also playing a game of Masks as well. :D

#29 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

Ah yes...Masks... well we'll get back to it later in the year, won't we?
Hal also has a recording of my Tuesday night group to put out some time. We're playing Arc Dream Publishings' Wild talents so look out for that one.

#30 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

Ah yes...Masks... well we'll get back to it later in the year, won't we?
Hal also has a recording of my Tuesday night group to put out some time. We're playing Arc Dream Publishings' Wild talents so look out for that one.

Oooh, nice.

#31 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:24 AM

And as a special incentive to listeners, I'm not in it :D

#32 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

Oh, in that case, share the audio... :)

#33 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:02 AM

How exciting and how sad a the same time. What will Martin do with out you there I hope he at least has Weasle to through wrenches in the plot and attack other players. :D

#34 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

How exciting and how sad a the same time. What will Martin do with out you there I hope he at least has Weasle to through wrenches in the plot and attack other players. :D

The Tuesday group evolved from a RuneQuest game played at a local shop. I signed up, dragged Martin along, and carried on playing a few games. Eventually we moved on to play at the GM's house, with a few other people joining us. I had to drop out, but you might have heard some of the Tuesday players joining in with both our Truth & Justice crossover special and the dramatic finale of Dogs in the Vineyard. On the whole they'll be a fresh bunch to RPGMP3 listeners.

#35 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Yeah, none of the usual Wharts crowd are playing, other than myself, but I think you've heard all the voices before in other recordings:)

#36 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:15 PM

Well I hope that they join the boards and bring lots of profanity with them. :D

#37 April

April

Toad

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I really enjoyed listening to this series. I was wondering what you 'professionals' thought of the game's...I'm new at this, is the word 'mechanics'? I ask because this is one of the few games that is *not* on a shelf or in a box somewhere in my basement, and I found it to be very interesting.

April

#38 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I was wondering what you 'professionals' thought of the game's...I'm new at this, is the word 'mechanics'?

"Professionals," eh? I might get that on my business cards :D

The mechanics of Dogs are certainly interesting. The whole thing is geared towards escalating conflicts, which works well but does produce some odd side-effects. In a typical RPG people quickly get the hang of the more commonly used rules, such as rolling a d20 and adding modifiers, so it's a simple thing to throw the dice and then elaborate and role-play regarding the action. Dogs isn't like that. The players tend to focus very intently on the dice, because you're moving and grouping them to try to gain advantage. Like several so-called "indie" games it has a very intrusive system; whether that is a problem depends on the players.

I'm still undecided about mechanics like that. They do a specific (very specific) job and do it well, sometimes forcing you to take very difficult and dramatically interesting decisions, but I remain unconvinced that you can't get the same result from role-playing the scene. On the whole I loved playing the game but often found myself wishing that the rules were a little bit less of a blunt instrument.

Hopefully some of the other players will chime in here.

#39 weasel

weasel

Goblin

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

I really like the mechanics, although I don't think we used them to their full extent. You can do a lot of interesting things with them, such as flashbacks and inventing new facts about the world. For example:

"I draw my gun and shoot"

can be met with

"I shoot back",

if you're being prosaic, but also

"The sun glints in your eyes off the weather-vane over the school",

and you've just added the weather-vane into the world, or

"I narrow my eyes, think about what you said about Danielle, and glare real mean, to put you off"

and it's psychological combat, or

"One of my posse jumps in front of me and takes the bullet on my behalf. I grit my teeth and call you a yellow-bellied coward for gunning down Jake in that way" ,

makes one of my resources die, and

"Once, long ago, my sunday school teacher took me behind the shed and showed me how to dispel demons from a cursed gipsy boy. I remember then what he told me about how to use the power of the almighty as my shield, and put my faith in prayer"

... introduces the supernatural

Frankly, I think the game is brilliant and it's in my top systems of all time, up there with Amber, Everway, Over the Edge, Sorcerer and Mortal Coil. One day I intend to run Firefly with it.

#40 weasel

weasel

Goblin

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

I think I like Dogs so much because I'm about as far from a sim-gamer as it's possible to get. I only really want two things from my game systems:

a) That it allows me to be powerful.

I don't mean that I'm the biggest bad guy around, although that's rather nice when it happens :wink:. Instead, I mean that my actions are important and I'm not a tiny cog in a great wheel.

b) That it allows me to be creative

By which I mean: can I invent different and individual solutions to each problem, or does everything come down to my shooting(3d6) skill?

For me, Dogs delivers both of these in spades. It's a narrative game, and by that I mean that the story is always about the players. Whatever the players rule about a town and whatever they do there, that's the most important thing happening (story-wise) in the universe at that time.

Also, Dogs lets players invent any sort of reason for why the bullet didn't hit me. It's not that the guy missed me, for example, it's because my old trapper uncle taught me to recognise that a man with a calloused thumb would always pull his gun slightly to the right and allow me to step left. I.e. my solutions to problems spring from my character and not my statistics.

It's why I usually play magicians in other systems - they are both powerful and have lots of tools in the toolkit to be creative with. I hate being the dumb brawler - the proverbial man with a hammer looking for a nail to hit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge