31 replies to this topic

#1 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi Folks

We record our D&D sessions and stick them on the internet as podcasts. Can I advertise this? and if so, which forum do I advertise them on

The Prior

#2 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hey Prior.

These forums are designed to be a community where roleplayers can come together, have some fun, and discuss the audios on the site. A few of the members pimp out their own content on occasion, but most of us are not amused by people who create an account solely to advertise.

Of course, final say on what you can and cannot post is up to Hal, the site owner, but I can practically guarantee you that he won't look kindly on you if you advertise here but don't contribute to the community.

#3 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for that, I just wanted to understand the situation

#4 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

Though to be fair, that guy didn't JUST advertise...

He also made personal attacks on the site-owner's wife...

that MIGHT have colored our opinion. :)

#5 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

Oh well

I'm not that kind of person. I'll try and join in a bit

#6 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hey there,

We are more than happy for folks to post up other content that enhances the site as long as they are also active contributors. Essentially feel free to post up things and contribute to other areas of the site and we should be fine :)

Throw up and link and see what kind of feedback you get :) What kinds of games do you record?

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#7 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

You seem, at least, to be polite.

That's points for you right there... :)

#8 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hey there,

We are more than happy for folks to post up other content that enhances the site as long as they are also active contributors. Essentially feel free to post up things and contribute to other areas of the site and we should be fine :)

Throw up and link and see what kind of feedback you get :) What kinds of games do you record?

Cheers

Hi Hal, I've recently joined a D&D group, I was a little concerned to start when the DM talked about how the session was recorded, broadcast over FM radio at a local radio station, and then put on the internet as a podcast. But, then I downloaded some of the sessions and listened to them. The campaign we have started is called The Forgotten Isle. I was hooked immediately and couldn't wait to join in.

I was a fan of their game before I joined. It was really exciting for me to meet the group of players who had started this project. I'd be like "I recognise your voice, you play Drent the Gnome Illusionist(Thief)". The group has now played and recorded 9 sessions, and the podcasts are available to download, but I don't want to tread on anyone's toes by advertising the website where they can be downloaded. Perhaps if I subtlety added the www address after my signature?

The Prior
http://brfm.mypodcast.com/

fingers crossed I don't get into trouble

#9 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

Prior, of course you realise that we now have to kill you, don't you! 8O

:P

Nah, others have posted here and everyone is pretty cool about it. Just don't be (and here I quote swj) "a dick" and you'll be fine!

Others have done this fine - Cob37 used to alot (and also post photos of his new house) and kafkonia more recently (possibly only in the patrons section?). And of course the Whartson Hall lot are merely affiliates of the original BURPS crew! :lol:

#10 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

It was really exciting for me to meet the group of players who had started this project. I'd be like "I recognise your voice, you play Drent the Gnome Illusionist(Thief)".

I was much the same when I first heard Paul of Cthulhu's voice floating across a crowded convention hall. It was all I could not to duck under a table to dodge the inevitable fireball (and if you listen to the World's Largest Dungeon recordings on this site you'll understand my concern).

And of course the Whartson Hall lot are merely affiliates of the original BURPS crew!

"Merely affiliates"... Of course you realise, sir, that this means war? :wink:

#11 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Riddles & BigJack

I'm not a dick, I'm not hear to overly hype up the podcast game I'm involved in, I'm not here to flame anyone, I'm not here to be a pain in the behind.

I've received a nice warm welcome, so I plan on sticking around a bit and get to know you folks

thanks

The Prior
http://brfm.mypodcast.com/ ;-)

#12 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

Nice quality audio! Out of interest what equipment do you you use, if I may ask?

From the accents, a Welsh group.

It's the first time I've heard games being broadcast on FM Radio stations. Excellent! I'm guessing BRfm, serving Brynmawr and around Blaenau Gwent?

Also, interesting use of background music, does add something.

Paul

#13 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

Nice quality audio! Out of interest what equipment do you you use, if I may ask?

From the accents, a Welsh group.

It's the first time I've heard games being broadcast on FM Radio stations. Excellent! I'm guessing BRfm, serving Brynmawr and around Blaenau Gwent?

Also, interesting use of background music, does add something.

Paul

Seriously, thankyou very much for listening Paul. You are correct, we are Welsh, and correct again on the radio station front. We play every two weeks on a Friday, the actual game is broadcast at 10pm on a Monday evening (it is possible to catch it from the listen now option on the radio website).

We record at the radio station, so we have access to good microphone and recording equipment. We record to minidisk, which then gets transcoded suitable for FM broadcast. We are not in a studio, but we are in a quiet area of the building.

I'm seriously chuffed that someone has asked top questions. I really wasn't expecting it.

Again, many thanks

The Prior

#14 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

Oooooooh! The ideal situation! Recording in a sound proof room :)

How I aspire :D

Nice sound quality :) It is always an issue when recording a round table style thing! Good job!

#15 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

Don't worry. The stupid questions will start soon enough... :)

#16 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Oh, i love welsh accents.. :D

#17 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

I am seriously chuffed this is going down well. Thanks folks

The Prior
http://brfm.mypodcast.com/

#18 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

Oh, i love welsh accents.. :D

What can I say? thank you boyo. (thats typing in a Welsh accent, you probably wouldn't get that unless you were from the UK)

:D

#19 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Tis ok, im an english, i get it!

Hows the weather there today..here int Texas its a stupid 79 degrees...and sticky

#20 Prior_Gunnar

Prior_Gunnar

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Tis ok, im an english, i get it!

Hows the weather there today..here int Texas its a stupid 79 degrees...and sticky

Currently it is typical Welsh January weather. Blowing a gale, pouring with rain, the norm really. 7 degrees Celcius (44 degrees Fahrenheit)

Have you lived in Texas long? How long have you been away from England?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge