• Create Account
Photo

Classic AD&D

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the same party be used in each adventure in the planned series of classic AD&D scenarios? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the same party be used in each adventure in the planned series of classic AD&D scenarios?

1. Yes, I like to get to know the characters. (9 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No, I have no interest in the characters. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Maybe, but only if Lindsay is playing a spiky Halfling of Doom! (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:17 AM

All,

As the person tasked with providing Classic AD&D scenarios for the site, I was wondering what people's preferences are.

I had originally planned to open with White Plume Mountain, one of my all time favourite scenario's, but I've been having second thoughts.

If we are going to have a sequence of classic AD&D adventures, would people prefer to have the same group of characters take part in each scenario, with assumed time spent levelling in between. Sort of like the D&D3 archetype characters.

If I do things that way then we might be better advised to plot a timeline through adventures which means the characters become more powerful from adventure to adventure, rather than having to downgrade them if I later decide to run a lower level scenario.

If people want to go down that route, then clearly we need to open with one of the classic low level scenarios like T1 - The Village of Hommelet. This isn't a problem, just wondered if anyone had any strong feelings as it seems people are getting quite attached to the characters in WLD.

The forum is thrown open for debate. . .

#2 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:37 AM

Count me in as a fellow who likes to see the same character from adventure to adventure. If someone dies then let them get a new character but I prefer to watch the growth.

I actually enjoyed the Character Generation session from the OldenHaller game to a certain degree although it went by quickly. AD&D might be more of a boring section.

I think starting with a low level adventure and working your up would be best. Maybe include a link to the PDF version of the file on sale. Most of the classic modules are for sale for $5.00 or so.

Tom

#3 Guest_ANonnyMouse_*

Guest_ANonnyMouse_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:32 AM

I think the same characters would hold our interest more.

As to modules, for a backbone you can't go wrong with an A series, G series, D series, Q wrap-up-arama. It is _classic_ AD&D right? Starting with T1 or B2 would work well with that. T1-4 might make you too tough to tackle the A series, even though they are supposed to mesh together.
A stop off at S2 or S1 (or S4 even) somewhere along the way would be very interesting

Good luck

#4 ENoa4

ENoa4

Ghoul

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationChampaign, IL - USA

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

I think this sounds fantastic. I've become very used to the characters in WLD and have even worked them into a Neverwinter Nights module as henchmen. I think it's a good idea to bring the same set of characters through all of the modules. I am very excited about listening to the classic PnP modules. Good luck with it.

ENoa4

#5 Cob37

Cob37

Ghoul

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouse Springs, Missouri, U.S.A.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:47 AM

My vote would be for the UK series, Saltmarsh and such.

#6 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:27 PM

It is fortuitous indeed then that I am currently reviewing U1 - U3 as a valid opening point for this game. :)

Need to decide where in the game world (Greyhawk), I am going to site these adventures as I need to transport the players from there toward A1. Have hopes that this will prove an auspicious opening however.

Not sure when this will start as I still have to assemble a party and unlearn all my D&D3E. :lol:

Watch this space for further info.

#7 Guest_ANonnyMouse_*

Guest_ANonnyMouse_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:15 AM

What is your opinion of Planescape? I had always thought it rife with possibility, but most people I deal with find it too vague despite the dearth of material that one can find. I think it comes from the "unlimited" nature of the planes, and the need for people to be grounded in something resembling reality.
Present company excepted, have you known anyone running a long-term fairly well-presented Planescape campaign?

#8 Cob37

Cob37

Ghoul

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:54 AM

What is your opinion of Planescape? I had always thought it rife with possibility, but most people I deal with find it too vague despite the dearth of material that one can find. I think it comes from the "unlimited" nature of the planes, and the need for people to be grounded in something resembling reality.
Present company excepted, have you known anyone running a long-term fairly well-presented Planescape campaign?

Unfortunately I have not but I must admit it would be a cool selection for someone to do in another audio game thread. Who knows, maybe I'll get the Skell game to move to Sigil for a bit just to get my feet wet.

#9 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:09 AM

[quote name="WhiteKnight"]It is fortuitous indeed then that I am currently reviewing U1 - U3 as a valid opening point for this game. :)
/quote]

Of course were you to want to go with 3.5, the DMG II may be of some benefit...

#10 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:59 AM

I think this sounds fantastic. I've become very used to the characters in WLD and have even worked them into a Neverwinter Nights module as henchmen. I think it's a good idea to bring the same set of characters through all of the modules. I am very excited about listening to the classic PnP modules. Good luck with it.

ENoa4

Still waiting on the BALLAAAZAR quotes. :) Hee hee hee

#11 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:01 AM

I am an unmitigated lover of the Planescape setting. I could only dream of Hal running a game featuring the same characters, or at the very least a one-shot game in Sigil or whatnot. The major problem with the Planes, as has previously been mentioned is that not only the players - but the GM themselves can rarely get their minds around the concept of a truly "infinite" space in the planes, which require all sorts of conventions and special methods for traveling about.

I'm curious what Hal, Lindsay, Paul, Steve and Fin's opinion is on Planescape as a possible setting, or at least, their comments on it.

#12 ENoa4

ENoa4

Ghoul

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

Still waiting on the BALLAAAZAR quotes.

I'll add them when I get them! :)

I would really enjoy hearing classic AD&D modules. I really enjoyed listening to C1 hidden Shrine of Tomoachan by Cob37 and his crew. I was very familiar with the module and it made for a very different listening experience as a result.

#13 Ffaern

Ffaern

Goblin

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationThe Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:26 PM

This may sound silly but, "The Keep on The Borderlands" is just... Well, you know. :D

That may be pushing the (antique) envelope too much so how about, as mentioned already, The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh trilogy - fantastic stuff!

In the end, any of the classics will of course be just fine.

Brian

#14 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

OK, I expect some boos and hisses but, um, er... Ravenloft.

#15 ENoa4

ENoa4

Ghoul

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

That's a great one! Did anyone ever play I-10, I can't remember the title but it was a sequel to Ravenloft, before it was published as a campaign setting. I tried to run it and my players revolted. One sat on the side of the road and refused to remove...I thought it was great, but they hated it.

ENoa4

#16 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:34 AM

Ravenloft
Ravenloft is one of the finest stand-alone scenarios I have ever played.
Fact of the matter is, that for a party of characters of the suggested levels, you are going to be lucky if half make it to the end. With a little care and attention Strahd will see off the whole group with relatively little difficulty.

I rate this as a character killer up alongside Tomb of Horrors, for the likelihood of decimating the entire party. Though I will say it requires more intelligent play than ToH in which you can leave the players to kill themselves on the traps.

The background to the scenario is good, and all the clues are there, but the odds are starkly against players unless you have a large group.

Raveloft II - The House on Griffin Hill was also a great scenario. I think the universal acceptance that these were classics led to the huge mistake of the World of Raveloft game setting. What works for short stand-alone adventures doesn't always make for good campaign play. Who here has ever seen a long-term Paranoia campaign? But isn't it fun to play in a one-off?

Keep on the Borderlands
Have no objections to running this, though of course we would have to use Classic original D&D, in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos. The most likely route I would use would be to offer B1-9 "In Search of Adventure", which has KotB on one of the adventure paths.

Found KotB to be a little drawn out as a dungeon crawl, definitely a product of its time, though with WLD we are seeing a return to those values.

Might have trouble deciding where to send the players after that, particularly if we are going to stick to the format of classic adventures. Castle Amber might follow, or maybe Isle of Dread. Mystara is a big place however, and there are lots of directions the party could decide to head off in.

Not sure when (or if) any of these projects will get off the ground. though I had hoped to launch one of them in the next month or so. Will try and keep you appraised as to whether the idea has been dropped at this end.

#17 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:27 AM

Keep on the Borderlands

This kind of defeats the thread title, doesn't it?! :)

OTOH, it was the first game I ran as a DM, when I was a small person...

I'd love to hear it played again, but I suspect there are ALOT more deserving modules out there. The Isle of Dread was pretty good though, and I've used the idea Castle Amber in lots of settings.

I still think the UK series is a pretty good set though (not that my opinion is in any way relevant! :))...

#18 Wellard

Wellard

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationInverness, Scotland

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:12 AM

I can remember running When a Star Falls whch I think was UK1 and featured Captain Mannering and the Gnome Guard.This module was famouus in our circle for introducing one of the most deadly (to his own party) characters we have ever had.Arod(the magnificent Wizard as he styled himself)managed to catch his team-mates(and himself) in not 1 not 2 but 3 consecutive fireballs fortunatly not all in the same combat.After this Zagyg the Great awarded him a set of asbestos robes for being the most amusing thing he had seen that day

#19 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

[quote name="WhiteKnight"]Ravenloft
Ravenloft is one of the finest stand-alone scenarios I have ever played.
Fact of the matter is, that for a party of characters of the suggested levels, you are going to be lucky if half make it to the end. With a little care and attention Strahd will see off the whole group with relatively little difficulty.

I rate this as a character killer up alongside Tomb of Horrors, for the likelihood of decimating the entire party. Though I will say it requires more intelligent play than ToH in which you can leave the players to kill themselves on the traps.

The background to the scenario is good, and all the clues are there, but the odds are starkly against players unless you have a large group.

Raveloft II - The House on Griffin Hill was also a great scenario. I think the universal acceptance that these were classics led to the huge mistake of the World of Raveloft game setting. What works for short stand-alone adventures doesn't always make for good campaign play. Who here has ever seen a long-term Paranoia campaign? But isn't it fun to play in a one-off?

Yeah, the campaign setting is why I expected some boos and hisses when I suggested it. But the original module just kicked serious butt. There were precious few survivors and many "roll a new character" moments when I went through it. It still gets my vote.

#20 Cob37

Cob37

Ghoul

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:35 PM

Not sure when this will start as I still have to assemble a party and unlearn all my D&D3E. :lol:

Can 3E be unlearned? How wonderful! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge