26 replies to this topic

#21 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

Sadly for me, this scenario is becoming unlistenable. This isn't a party, it's a mob. There seem to me to be too many diversions with NPCs who only encourage the sillier nature of the players. Lindsay's valiantly trying to keep the plot moving forward, but it seems like an impossible task.

#22 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

Sadly for me, this scenario is becoming unlistenable. This isn't a party, it's a mob. There seem to me to be too many diversions with NPCs who only encourage the sillier nature of the players. Lindsay's valiantly trying to keep the plot moving forward, but it seems like an impossible task.

It's her struggle against impossible odds that makes it so great... :)

#23 arvis

arvis

Kobold

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV, USA

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

Two things I have noticed that contribute to the scattered feel of the party:

1. The new microphone is almost too good, it picks up a lot of background noise or this just a result of playing in a busy game store.

2. Whether it is inexperience or lack of manners, the American gamers do not hesitate to speak over each other, which causes problems for recording. I noticed this while listening to the World of Skell podcsts and found them noisier than the stuff here.

#24 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

1. The new microphone is almost too good, it picks up a lot of background noise or this just a result of playing in a busy game store.

I don't find the noise level too bad, but I wonder if the game store atmosphere really lends itself to concentrating on the game? "Dungeon on!" is not this mob's motto.

#25 matthewfenn

matthewfenn

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

I have to say that I am still enjoying it, as it is is very funny in places, though I understand what PrestoJeff was saying... at times it does seem like there is only Lindsay and maybe one other who is interested in roleplaying sensibly and trying to think about moving the plot on. It can become a little frustrating when all certain players want to do is play with horse poo, bugger the skulls of dead creatures, and lark around...

Even after listening to all the episodes up to now however, I'm still having trouble remembering who/what everyone is! Might be worth at the beginning of each session getting everyone to do a role-call - eg "Ragnor Hellstrom, dwarven bard and skull abuser" etc...

#26 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

2. Whether it is inexperience or lack of manners, the American gamers do not hesitate to speak over each other, which causes problems for recording. I noticed this while listening to the World of Skell podcsts and found them noisier than the stuff here.

I don't know. Speaking (well, writing) from personal experience I've known some UK based groups be nearly as noisy as the americans playing this adventure (and those groups have been smaller).

In the past I've played in people's houses, a disused sports hall (rebranded as a community centre), the function rooms of a couple of pubs and in some tents on various different camps.

I have not played in a shop.

I've known some disruptive and loud players who like to play together in their own groups, I've seen a group of 14 players split into two sub groups because one GM was trying to run an adventure for everyone for new characters and let his mates turn up with their 14th level party half way through for us to watch so that we could "see what you too can achieve if you get more levels". He then proceeded to ignore the rest of us and ignore the fact that we technicaly killed off two of his mates characters (he just ignored our declaration of intent that round).

What was annoying about that session was that most of us were experienced players and he told us to make new characters rather than use existing ones. And then he let his mates join in in an obviously previously arranged thing. Talk about double standards!

So anyway, I've seen groups of four or five be almost as loud and chaotic as the american "shop" gamers and I've seen groups of seven and eight play together in a calm and controlled manner on a regular basis. I used to regularly play in a group of seven and we'd get sidelined and all sorts (as you'd expect) but we didn't shout over each other all the time much (and when there was a side conversation generaly everyone got involved rather than half the group having a conversation in the background undermining whatever the others were getting up to).

#27 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:55 PM

There are a lot of people that come by and just give random commentary. That the game's by the restroom is a huge chunk of that. If the game was someplace more private, probably wouldn't be as much noise. Plus we could open up more, I've cleaned Rjagnjar up some due to store staff telling me keep it PG-13.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge