#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:41 AM

Nestled in the lush green heart of Cheshire, ageless, rambling monument to monumental rambling, Whartson Hall. A guide to some of the regular players who appear at this venerable pile.

The Whartson Hall crew is generally divided into two parts, by which I mean Monday and Thursday night players rather than, say, brain and genitals. There is some overlap (in both cases, now I think of it). Recordings are usually of the Thursday crowd, but increasingly we've been sneaking the Marantz in under the noses of the more conservative Monday players. We began recording with an Apple laptop before moving through an iRiver and then the Marantz, so you will notice a jump in quality (and file size) with later games.

If I have missed or misrepresented anyone it's purely because I don't like them :wink:

The Players, Monday and Thursday Night Regulars:
Martin, aka Martimus on the forum.
John, aka Weasel, aka Man Not Appearing On This Forum.
Sara, aka Jacobeanangel on the forum.
Jon, aka BigJackBrass on all too many fora (your humble scribe)

There is inevitably a degree of confusion amongst listeners regarding John and Jon; occasionally there has been confusion between Jon and Martin due, we presume, to both of them coming from Stoke. Since we are confused enough ourselves we have no intention of making things easier for the rest of you.

The Players, occasional Thursday Players and the Monday Regulars:
The Lovely Emma, aka Memmsy on this forum.
Zoe.
Ross (not to be confused with any other Ross appearing in other recordings on RPGMP3.com).

Other guest players are announced from time to time.

Our level of gaming experience is mixed. Martin, Weasel, Sara and myself have played for many years. Zoe and The Lovely Emma have been taking the piss out of Martin and myself because we play, but then they crossed the event horizon and got sucked into the whole thing (to the extent that Memmsy has expressed a desire to go dice shopping), while Ross has dabbled but only delved deeper since joining the group. There is also a split between "traditional" and "indie" gaming, although this is more along the lines of experience rather than preference.

The games we are playing tend to be short and often "indie" RPGs, although you can expect to hear plenty of Traveller, Savage Worlds and the like in upcoming recordings. Because we try lots of new systems you should listen to the recordings with an awareness that we will (and do) frequently make rules cock-ups because we're learning too. And I stick to that excuse :D

I hope you enjoy exploring our gaming sessions, done for no other reason than simple enjoyment of the hobby (oh, and naturally the fact that we are shameless limelight hoggers and show-offs, engaged in a petty war of oneupmanship).

#2 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:54 AM

...and how lucky are we to have Jonathan Frakes join us for all these games... :twisted:

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:56 AM

Hey look over here -------> Will Riker on RPGMP3 <---------

We seem to already have a long and meaningful discussion about that complete with pictures ;)

Hal :hal:

Ooooooh - and there is a poll and everything!

#4 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:02 AM

I find it frankly surprising and a little bit amazing RPGMP3 continues to find great groups to put on games, but we got quite a quality group in the Whartson Hall Gamers. Basically, this is our "Masterpiece Theatre" of RPGMP3, which is a bit .... shall we say, odd, considering their behaviour, but hey! Classics are quite often a bit rowdy. :D Great job, hoping to see more.

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

"Rowdy," forsooth! I know not what you mean :D

Well, perhaps one or two of the group are prone to, uh, enthusiastic outbursts... I do appreciate your support and kind words, Shathis. We're only doing this for our collective ego, of course :lol:

And gee, thanks for digging up the Will Riker thing again, Hal. Fab. :roll:

#6 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

And gee, thanks for digging up the Will Riker thing again, Hal. Fab. :roll:

Shut your pie hole, Number One...

:)

Now, Martin is the Ginger, correct?

And I find it easy to tell Weasel apart from the rest. He's the one with a tendency to kill off party members, act in various evil ways ("Ethics are just something that happen to other people, aren't they..."), and generally live up to his name.

If it's suggested that an NPC get offed, it's usually Weasel making the suggestion...

But I love the games, and I laugh loads when I hear them. Traveller was a GREAT way to introduce us all to some of you lot.

I can't wait till the rest of the folks here get to hear that one.

Patrons have more fun...

#7 Qwaz

Qwaz

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:08 PM

Patrons have more fun...

8O

Horrible,, horrible blonde images of swj :x

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

This is true, although according to Lindsay I'm the one who sounds ginger... No, I don't understand that either.

Actually, Martin has become somewhat less ginger over the years, fading to a bronzed shadow of his former carrotiness. Nonetheless, he's clearly ginger at heart :D

Sara is the one responsible for the deafening, level-busting laugh; and Weasel, we are told, sounds like Neil Gaiman. Just your average crew, really.

#9 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

This is true, although according to Lindsay I'm the one who sounds ginger... No, I don't understand that either.

There's a tone of voice those without a soul possess, and you do indeed come close to having it...

But it is obvious to those who pay close attention that you do indeed have a soul...

It's just very, very small...

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hey folks :)

Just so we can compare :)

Link to Neil Gaiman talking about stuff

:)

Hal :hal:

#11 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:45 PM

Actually, Martin has become somewhat less ginger over the years, fading to a bronzed shadow of his former carrotiness. Nonetheless, he's clearly ginger at heart :D

Sara is the one responsible for the deafening, level-busting laugh; and Weasel, we are told, sounds like Neil Gaiman. Just your average crew, really.

I kept imagining BigJack as a wannabe Victorian, sort of styled on the common portrayal of Dr. Watson. The moustache, the bowler hat, the slightly portly respectability. How was I to know he was indeed, Number One?

#12 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

Whartson Hall may soon be expanding, thanks to the excellent news that The Lovely Emma and I have had our offer on a nearby property accepted. This should open up a second venue for games and allow much closer collaboration on some projects, since at the moment it's a bit of a bugger trying to get from where I live over to Whartson Hall unless I can get a lift.

I'm considering christening the new building "Dubious Manor."

#13 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

Whartson Hall may soon be expanding, thanks to the excellent news that The Lovely Emma and I have had our offer on a nearby property accepted. This should open up a second venue for games and allow much closer collaboration on some projects, since at the moment it's a bit of a bugger trying to get from where I live over to Whartson Hall unless I can get a lift.

I'm considering christening the new building "Dubious Manor."

Wait, the two ofyou extended an offer towards property and are now going to christen it? Never tried a threesome with a house before.

My hat is off to you good sir.

#14 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

A name change. The Lovely Emma prefers my second suggestion, so we expect to call the new house Perfunctory Manor instead. It's much more appropriate :D

#15 RannXerox

RannXerox

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

This might be asked somewhere else on the forum but this is only my 2nd post so forgive the ignorant.

I understand that these podcasts are done in the UK. Beautiful country, just got back from there last year (Bath and London). I notice a few have American accents. How did you met up with your group of gamers and have you every had issues understanding each other? I work remotely with our UK guys and lord knows I sometimes do better talking to our Tokyo office.

When I was in the US Army in the 80's and served in Germany, I had the chance of gaming with our German friends and it was always funny to run into situations of cultural misunderstandings during game play.

#16 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

Ah...

The games posted by Hal from his group are recorded in the US (Texas) while the Warston Hall and Accordlands groups are in the UK...

#17 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I understand that these podcasts are done in the UK. Beautiful country, just got back from there last year (Bath and London). I notice a few have American accents. How did you met up with your group of gamers and have you every had issues understanding each other?

Hi RannXerox; and welcome to the forums.

As swj179 has said the games are recorded in the UK and the USA. Hal and Lindsay moved over to Texas (and consequently most of the players in their games are American) and one or two other recordings are by American groups, whereas the Whartson Hall group and the Bradford folks are still UK based. Of course, whether Texas is part of the United States is one of those questions on which some Texans have very strong views, so I'll just stick to what's drawn on my world map :wink:

Speaking for the Whartson Hall gamers, we're a mixture of people who already knew each other (school chums and habitu├ęs of amateur dramatics groups,) people who are married to or almost married to each other and people who met through a local games store (Fanboy 3 in Manchester. I signed up for a RuneQuest 3 game called "Duck Patrol" and was introduced to several fascinating souls that way.)

We started recording our games partly for our own reference but also because I was a regular listener to the output of this site, Yog-Sothoth and The Rolemonkeys. It would have been selfish not to inflict our ravings on the world :D

As for not understanding each other... happens all the time :wink:

#18 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

Of course, just to confuse things, Hal and Lindsay pop up in everyone else's recordings occasionally, and are in the chronologically earlier UK ones.
Fin is in all of them.
:D

#19 RannXerox

RannXerox

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:51 PM

Ha. I was born and raised in Florida so do not have much of a southern accent but living in Michigan my co-workers find my frequent use of "ya'll" quite funny. (you-all, I swear its a word).

Wow, Texas, talk about culture shock for the UK guys :D

Thanks for the welcome. I don't get to play much, other then talking my daughters into a game, so the podcasts help me to get my gaming fix in!

#20 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Ha. I was born and raised in Florida so do not have much of a southern accent

Well of course not. Everyone in Florida has a New York accent... :wink:

(That's according to a friend of mine from Florida, by the way. Personally I can't say I noticed, but then I used to live in New York.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge