7 replies to this topic

#1 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:11 AM

So I decided against thread necromancy in favor of growing a new thread in a mostly dead place....

Just listened to Hal's explanation of the way that the cohort ezxperience works. Wondering if anyone else noticed that this is a lot more elegant than it sounds. It works out so that the cohort (Urnst) levels up at exactly the same time that the character does. As a GM it's incredibly handy because then you can just level the cohorts whenever the PCs level up, and the GM never has to keep track of XP for the NPC...

-Pete

#2 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

What exactly was the method?

#3 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

The DMG method, and it seems to match what I remember from the Banewarrens, is that the cohort takes no xp from the xp reward for defeating monsters, traps, etc (in other words, not an xp leech) but instead receives xp equal to the xp his PC receives multiplied by the result of dividing the cohort's level by the PC's level.

So, an 8th level cohort with a 12th level PC would receive 8/12ths (2/3rds) of the amount of xp awarded to his PC. The cohort then levels up normally according to his xp total with the exception that he must remain at least two levels lower than the PC and any xp award that would move to within one level of the PC is reduced to the number of xp the cohort needs to level minus 1.

The elegance of the system comes from the fact that to level up you always need additional xp of 1,000xCurrent level. To go from 6th to 7th level you need 6,000 more xp than you had (from 15,000 to 21,000). So, a 6th level PC with a 4th level cohort needs 6,000 more xp to level and 4/6ths of that (Cohort's level/PC's level) is 4,000, exactly what the cohort needs to level up.

There, nice and long winded and probably written poorly enough that no one can tell if I'm right or not. :)

#4 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

But, after thinking about it, this isn't quite as simple as it seems, unless every time you level up you exactly hit the number of xp you need for the next level.

For example with the 6th level PC, 4th level cohort, if the PC doesn't get exactly the 6,000xp he needs to level, but instead gets 6,634xp, the cohort gets his 4,000xp and then gets 4/6ths of 634 (422.6) instead of the 5/7ths of 634 (452.8) that he would get if that 634xp was gained after leveling up.

30xp isn't really a big deal, but it's the start of a disparity that would grow as the game progressed, and various kinds of xp or level loss could also disrupt the beauty of the system.

#5 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:07 AM

This system sounds surprisingly like the makeshift henchman system they used in Neverwinter Nights so as to not frustrate the players, or at least -- it seems. I wonder what system they did indeed use, as I'm not really that great with 3.5 rules.

#6 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

I'm not completely sure, and I haven't played Neverwinter Nights in a couple of years, but I think they just pegged the NPC's level to the PC's level directly, without worrying about xp for the NPCs. This is only reasonable, since they would also level up all the NPCs when the PC leveled regardless of who you were traveling with.

#7 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:48 PM

I'm not completely sure, and I haven't played Neverwinter Nights in a couple of years, but I think they just pegged the NPC's level to the PC's level directly, without worrying about xp for the NPCs. This is only reasonable, since they would also level up all the NPCs when the PC leveled regardless of who you were traveling with.

No, they actually had independent XP, you could check their character sheets. They followed advancement for their class and race, but tended to stick near the player.

#8 Qwaz

Qwaz

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

To be honest i'd usually just say that any cohort remains 2 levels behind their paired PC (Barring tempory level loss situations...etc). But then I find Exp a fair but sometimes cumbersome system.
Depending on the GM and game it might be better for them to just say "Ok, you all level up now!"

I mean in a long continuous setting like WLD exp is obviously the best way foreward but if you have a chain of several distinct adventures where you only level up inbetween then ignoring experience and the GM telling you how far he feels you should have gone is better on two counts. 1) GM knows wht he's got in sore and where he wants you to be when you reach it. 2) Less book keping to worry about.
With this system i'd imagine a 3rd benefit might crop up. PC not fighting beyond their capacity purely for the xp. They'd instinctivly roleplay the encounter better. "Do we really want to fight this thing? It has no tresure and we could just go different path if we run away. It would be safer...etc"

gah, rambled well off-topic there. To shorten - yes, the cohort exp system is not complete crap :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge