5 replies to this topic

#1 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

Well, we just wrapped up the first session of my new audio game... sort of.

It was supposed to be character creation, but it turned out to be character creation pt. 1, as two players couldn't make it and the three who could couldn't finish their characters up. Such are the dangers of a detailed point buy system when you have only one copy of the rulebook!

In light of this, I'm going to wait until session two is under wraps before looking into packaging them for general release. I also hope to get a better feel for how to set up my recorder (I'm just using my Creative MuVo mp3 player for now), as the test-recording during Munchkin had higher sound quality than today. Perhaps this was just due to the change in location.

Right now, we have:

Nic, playing Martin Cruikshank, mad scientist and former rifleman.
Neil, playing an as-yet unnamed former Pinkerton(?) and investigator.
Gayle, playing Mrs. James Crawford, a widow and explorer.

As I said, the other two players (Jen and Anne-Marie) were unable to attend this evening.

----

The game will be set during the 1890s in Ottawa, Canada (where we are playing.) As I said during the session, I'll be shooting for a Victorian X-Files/Planetary/BPRD feel to the game. I made it clear that the world is not exactly the same as ours -- but just how different is it? That's what our brave investigators are going to discover!

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,091 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

Oooooh! More audio :P

Placement of the recorder and the seating of the players can make a big difference to the quality of the recording. We have found that trying to get an "even" sound across the table by distributing the louder players around often helps.

Also, background noise can cause some issue. Some of this can be removed with some post editing in something like Audacity (free) or Audition (far from free), but some you might have to live with. WLD was filled with phone calls and life in general but I guess that adds charm to the sessions and gives a sense of time and place ;)

Anyway, good luck with the recordings - are you going to be putting them up on here? We would love to have them ;)

Hal :hal:

#3 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

Placement of the recorder and the seating of the players can make a big difference to the quality of the recording. We have found that trying to get an "even" sound across the table by distributing the louder players around often helps.

Well, the test recording was done in Nic's basement, with the recorder sat directly on a wooden table.

Today I tidied my kitchen table (well, it would be a kitchen table if there were room in the kitchen) and then the players all went and sat in my living room instead, so I hastily moved the recorder and had to put it on top of a package of tissues. Plus, I had all of my windows open, as it was quite hot today and my apartment faces west (and the living room has no curtains.) There's a bit of a hiss, so I may try to pass it through some noise filters to see if I can remove that. I'll also have to try and boost the gain, as it's quite quiet. Then we'll see about dynamics. I may even put it through the ten-band EQ I've got if I'm feeling adventurous.

And of course, what audio game would be complete without the siren song of, well, sirens? The noble men and women of the fire department paid my building a visit whilst we recording.

Anyway, good luck with the recordings - are you going to be putting them up on here? We would love to have them ;)

Hal :hal:

I was planning on offering them to you, so that works perfectly. :)

#4 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

WLD was filled with phone calls and life in general but I guess that adds charm to the sessions and gives a sense of time and place ;)

I've noticed in Labo(u)r of Love, you can occasionally hear people elsewhere in the shop talking. They usually sound so hushed I have to turn everything up really loud and I can only catch a few words, but it feels very realistic.

-Pete

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:29 AM

My own recordings have been in a living room with really lovely big velvety curtains (i.e. not my living room) and they seem to help with the sound quality quite a bit. The recorder is an iRiver H10 using the internal microphone, although we're currently trying to connect an external stereo mic, and I've been fairly happy with the results. It's surprising just what small changes can have a big effect on the quality, though.

#6 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

My own recordings have been in a living room with really lovely big velvety curtains (i.e. not my living room) and they seem to help with the sound quality quite a bit. The recorder is an iRiver H10 using the internal microphone, although we're currently trying to connect an external stereo mic, and I've been fairly happy with the results. It's surprising just what small changes can have a big effect on the quality, though.

I'll be looking into that further down the line. My brother is a musician, so I may be able to borrow a microphone from him, and one of my players used to be in the radio production programme at a local college and has one as well (although she told me she sold her minidisc recorder.) I'm not sure if the MuVo supports external microphones -- it only has a headphone jack -- so I suspect some trial and error will be occurring. :)

I managed to boost the volume and eliminate most of the background hiss, but it's still not a very high-quality recording (to give you an idea, the original recording, at just under 3 hours, was less than 40 megs... as a .wav! :O )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge