• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

Preferences in audio -- homebrew or commercial adventure?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Wow, so much feedback!

I've been rather nonplussed with the D20 modules I've run (to be fair, they were both DCC modules, and my group felt the interaction was lacking) but I had great success adapting the Temple of Existential Evil from Hackmaster to d20. Unfortunately, that group has fallen prey to mat leave. :/ I am DM'ing a pbp game on EnWorld, using the GURPS adventure "A Caravan to Ein Arris" as the basis for a d20 game. But frankly, I'm only using the system because that's the most common one there.

I'll be seeing some more of my potential players tomorrow and hopefully get a better idea of who's interested, and thus what they're interested in. I know one has expressed interest in Masque of the Red Death; another used to play Vampire, so I know she's not hopelessly devoted to D20; and the third has only started gaming recently. I'm personally leaning toward MotRD or something GURPS-driven, but I will bow towards my players wishes.

#22 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:10 PM

Quick question: what's a DCC module?

#23 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:13 AM

Dungeon Crawl Classics.

They are a series of 40+ adventures from Goodman Games and are designed to be just that, a very simple dungeon crawl.

Check this quote from their website:

Dungeon Crawl Classics

"Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere."

They can be found at: http://www.goodman-g.../DCCpreview.php

-Pete

#24 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:19 AM

I agree with most of the people here that either a home brew or general market adventure fits the bill.

My one suggestion for a home brew adventure is that you make it available for download via .pdf so that people can read along with the game. I think it makes a great deal of difference to see what is "supposed" to happen and how the GM and players strike out on new avenues.

Heeeey!! That's a good point! I think that's a great idea. That'd be really cool to do that for adventures that people come up with and run. And converting it to PDF would be pretty easy to do too!

I concur for two reasons.

1) I like to half listen to the audio sometimes. Having the module lets me go check what encounters happened and reduces the pressure to hear every word. (I can be very anal about such things)

2) I like being able to look at what is going on sometimes while the players are still trying to figure it out. An example: During the Banewarrens the party encountered a pit trap with what appeared to be a teleporter. As they were encountering this, I was reading along in the Banewarrens book and having a great time laughing various body parts off - because I knew what was really going on. I'm a control freak, I like to be in the know and I get unhappy if I can't have my question answered which often none of the party actually asks.

Homebrew or published isn't important. Whether I can have a copy or not is.

-Pete

#25 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

Dungeon Crawl Classics.

They are a series of 40+ adventures from Goodman Games and are designed to be just that, a very simple dungeon crawl.

And that was the problem. After two of those and a brief exploration of the WLD, I've decided that my group and I aren't quite the dungeon crawling hack-and-slashers I thought we were. Seems we like to get to know people before we butcher them. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge