• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

Preferences in audio -- homebrew or commercial adventure?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

With Hal running a game of his own devising, and with me having three people to date willing to game on audio for public enjoyment (I'm hoping to add one or two more before doing anything), I'm wondering -- which are you more interested in as listeners, original homebrew adventures or commercially available ones?

The commercially available ones add to a sense of shared experience, as other people can compare their experiences with the game, or just go out and buy a copy. But there's something nice and fresh about a homebrewed game like Labour of Love or the direction Steve took ToEE in when the party decided it was out of their league (for as short as that lasted.)

Given that I may wind up running my game in a setting and/or with a system that has few premade adventures, I'm curious to hear other people's opinions. As it is, I've had more luck adapting non-d20 system adventure to my group's needs than running ones written for the system.

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

Either or. :D

#3 TomBedlam

TomBedlam

Goblin

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

Either for me as well. I'd like to see more genres represented though. Maybe a supers game or a cyperpunk game would be interesting.

#4 Qwaz

Qwaz

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

I prefer home-brews. I like the DM free to do what he likes and not feel constrained by the words on the page. To be fair a friend of mine who DM's is god-aweful at reacting to unexpected things and working on the fly so a pre-made might be the way to go for him.

Anyway, whichever you prefer to run would go down well :)

#5 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

Whichever you feel most comfortable with, especially for your 1st time...

I enjoy listening to the roleplaying, what is played is kind of 2ndary to be honest (though I did buy WLD on the strength of this lot! ;)).

I would be nice for it not to be d&d, but not essential.

And good luck, 'cos you'll need it! :twisted:

#6 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

I prefer people's own made up stuff but when you're improvising a session can sometimes grind to a halt as you find yourself bereft of inspiration. Having something complete to fall back on is always handy. So sometimes basing your created stuff on (or relating it to) an existing published work can be handy.

#7 Qwaz

Qwaz

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

I prefer people's own made up stuff but when you're improvising a session can sometimes grind to a halt as you find yourself bereft of inspiration. Having something complete to fall back on is always handy. So sometimes basing your created stuff on (or relating it to) an existing published work can be handy.

I don't mean made up as in creating constantly...I plan the major NPC's every dungeon room and what monsters may roam but should my players randomly decide to attend a religious ceromony while traveling between two cities i'll be creating on the fly which are the closest temples...etc.
Ditto if they try and persuade the big-bad to turn himself in the role-play for that unforeseen situation is off the cuff.
My home-brews are planned just not set-in-stone as some pre-mades are.

#8 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

Either for me as well. I'd like to see more genres represented though. Maybe a supers game or a cyperpunk game would be interesting.

Cyberpunk would be good - I’ve currently got sidetracked away from finishing my scenarios Hostile Space and The Garden of War by brainstorming ideas for cyberpunk/police squad hunting androids scenario.

Anyway back to the topic

Homebrew stuff is a hard slog to write but it can be much more imaganative than pre-bought stuff. I think with homebrews the GM knows the scenario backwards and often feels more able to improvise.

Different Genres. YES

Roleplaying is after all a FANTASTIC idea and it allows such freedoms. I remember when I first learnt of it I wandered round for days in the ‘Dungeons & Dragons Daze’ thinking how cool the notion was.

I’m appalled that Sword and Sorcery has become a default rut for the hobby. It should be a question of who do you want to be today and what genre would you like?

Imagine this is a menu!

Adventurer
Alien
Ambassador
Amnesiac
Android Hunter
Angel
Assassin
Astronaut
Avenger
Bandit
Bank Robber
Billionaire playboy
Bounty Hunter
Cad
Cartoon Character
Commando
Con-Artist
Cowboy
Crypto-zoologist
Cyborg
Deep-Sea Diver
Demonologist
Detective
Doctor
Dragon Slayer
Duellist
Eccentric
Egyptologist
Escaped Convict
Explorer
Femme fatale
Flapper
Gangster
Ghost
Hacker
Informer
Inventor
Investigative Journalist
King
Lunatic
Mad Scientist
Magician
Mercenary
Mystic
Occultist
Outlaw
Paladin
Para-Medic
Pirate
Priest
Prince
Private Investigator
Privateer
Psychiatrist
Psychic
Revolutionary
Sheriff
Smuggler
Sorcerer
Spy
Star-Pilot
Superhero
Thief
Time Traveller
Treasure Seeker
Vampire Hunter
Victorian
Vigilante
Werewolf
Witch-Hunter
Wizard
Zombie Survivor

How many of us can tick off more than half from this list of possibilities?

#9 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Tick off as in have done, would like to do, of know of a game system that has such as a default?

#10 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

Tick off as in have done

Of course you could combine them for allsorts of weird combinations...

#11 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Wa, USA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

With Hal running a game of his own devising, and with me having three people to date willing to game on audio for public enjoyment (I'm hoping to add one or two more before doing anything), I'm wondering -- which are you more interested in as listeners, original homebrew adventures or commercially available ones?

I say both personally. I think it would be cool to do both. Do the published adventures and people can get that "shared experience" or the fun of "reading along" as I've done on a few of the adventures here on RPGMP3.com.

I like the idea of doing the homebrew adventures too to be honest. It gives people a chance to see your creative side as a GM and as listeners maybe even enjoy some of the wonder in a new and untold story as it unfolds for the party playing through it on audio. Both of which I don't think are bad things. :)

As a listener I would be perfectly happy listening to a series of audios from a party of adventurers doing a published adventure and then after it finishes "swapping" to a homebrew adventure and back again. You could then see how players and characters evolve over time and how they change from each adventure. :)

#12 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

I don't mean made up as in creating constantly.

Neither did I. I just eman't that when you're improvising there's less to fall back on if the creative juices dry up and need lubricating with a film or a good book or something.

#13 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

I like both off the shelf and home brew.

Most of the DMs I know that have been at it a while perfer making their own adventures, campaigns and worlds.

I think the important part with off the shelf products is to not let them box you in. If you don't like something in the adventure, if it doesn't fit with the way your campaign world works, isn't spelled out or you just don't like it, a DM should feel free to change it.

As for rules systems, I like off the shelf products at least for a starting point. It at elast allows players a chance to know the basic mechanics of how the universe functions and how their choices can effect things. I am also all for adjusting things with house rules, as long as it is on the table ahead of time, or discussed when a need is exposed for the house rule.

I did have one DM that liked keeping house rules secret until they came into play. It seemed like my character had no clue how the universe worked at the start of the campaign and decided on some useless and detrimental character paths.

#14 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

Why choose one or the other? My preferred method of putting together an adventure is to take a couple of pre-made adventures of an appropriate level and warp them into something that fits the characters in my campaign. The final product usually has little or no resemblance to either of the sources, but I have found that this method turns out much more coherent adventures than starting from scratch would.

#15 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

I'm not sure I've ever really run a published scenario, although I've tried a couple. They always seem to need massive amounts of work to make them fit my games and group, perhaps because I come from a background of making everything up on the go, and the end result is probably not what the author intended.

Still, as to audio I would certainly like a variety of genres (or at least systems: D20 just seems to make everything taste like D20) and I think I'll plump for a mix of published and original adventures. I'm never going to go out and buy or even play WLD, for example, but I enjoyed listening to it, yet it was clear well before the end that it was a pretty poor piece of work. A fascinating audio project, but in terms of running something with the listener in mind maybe not the perfect choice.

Which brings up a question I've been pondering, that of who the game is for. For the past few weeks my group, the Whartson Hall Gamers, have been recording our games with a view to making them available to interested parties (presumably people like myself with plenty of time at work to listen to podcasts). I made the choice in the end to avoid structuring anything with the recording in mind and to keep the games firmly for the players, but I've heard other podcasts where it is clear that the recording itself is the main focus. I don't know which is better, really, although I like the more natural style myself even if it does mean lots of off-topic (and frequently off-colour) chatter, background noise and occasional lack of focus.

And TomBedlam, a Supers game? You might be in luck... :wink:

#16 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

I did have one DM that liked keeping house rules secret until they came into play.

I've suffered the opposite: a vindictive Gm who kept making up "on the spot" hosue rules to thwart the players. A typical conversation would go like this:

Gm: So what spells did you learn now that you're third level?
Me: Oh, Knock and See Invisibility.
Gm: Oh, well I've decided that nothing has the power to become invisible in my game world exept for some shapechanging things which doa sort of chameleon thing that's very similar to invisibility, but isn't, so nobody's ever invented a spell to reveal invisible things so you can't have that spell.

Me: Fine, I'll have .... instead.

Then a few weeks later when I'd finaly cast the alternative spell the GM would ask what it would do, decide she didn't want her players doing "thinking stuff" like that which interrupted her railroading and force me to change my character yet again.

There were four of us players and three of us were being picked on by the GM. You can tell that campaign didn't end well can't you? we just all played by her stupid rules because the characters we were playing were such fun, and secretly plotted the downfall of her entire gameworld's evil nazi poster boy homosexual elves that she worshipepd based on some really bad design decisions she'd made.

Yeah, I'm not bitter, honest. Neither are any of the other players (but when she decided to give up roleplaying for a long time to sit in on games of Battletech we all breathed a sigh of relief).

#17 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

And TomBedlam, a Supers game? You might be in luck... :wink:

A supers game would be awesome. I have a weakness for Supers! A fun Heroes game would rock! :)

#18 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

I agree with most of the people here that either a home brew or general market adventure fits the bill.

My one suggestion for a home brew adventure is that you make it available for download via .pdf so that people can read along with the game. I think it makes a great deal of difference to see what is "supposed" to happen and how the GM and players strike out on new avenues.

Tom

#19 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

I agree with most of the people here that either a home brew or general market adventure fits the bill.

My one suggestion for a home brew adventure is that you make it available for download via .pdf so that people can read along with the game. I think it makes a great deal of difference to see what is "supposed" to happen and how the GM and players strike out on new avenues.

Heeeey!! That's a good point! I think that's a great idea. That'd be really cool to do that for adventures that people come up with and run. And converting it to PDF would be pretty easy to do too!

#20 Qwaz

Qwaz

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

I don't mean made up as in creating constantly.

Neither did I. I just eman't that when you're improvising there's less to fall back on if the creative juices dry up and need lubricating with a film or a good book or something.

Ah, in that case it appears i owe you an apolergy. The misunderstanding was mine and not yours. Please forgive me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge