• Create Account
Photo

The only sane Response to the Banewarrens...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:31 AM

I wouldn't base my assumptions about Ptolus solely on the Banewarrens adventure. There are a ton of locations and NPCs in the book that I am finding very useful in my own Eberron campaign. And if you're going to hate it simply because Monte wrote it, keep in mind that only about 2 chapters out of the 700 page book are focused on player options. Sure, he recommends that you use his other books with it, but the Ptolus book itself doesn't really contain anything broken (except perhaps the firearms, but I ignore those).

#22 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Wa, USA

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

As for WotC revoking the OGL with 4th Ed -- I won't be heartbroken.

What chills me about that thought is that it would mean (wouldn't it?) Wizards wouldn't make the System Reference Document available anymore. That's such a valuable resource, now that so many players are on the Web.

I agree wholeheartedly. I can't imagine gaming without it as a GM or player. It's my D&D/D20 equivalent of wikipedia. Because of that I can have most of what I need on my laptop, outside of a few other books.

I pragmatically refuse to carry a gym bag filled with my D&D library. It's impractical and it weighs too god damned much. I'd have to use a moving dolly to shuttle it back and forth. There is a reason I pay the $15 a year to the d20srd.org site. It's critical to my needs.

#23 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

I wouldn't base my assumptions about Ptolus solely on the Banewarrens adventure. There are a ton of locations and NPCs in the book that I am finding very useful in my own Eberron campaign. And if you're going to hate it simply because Monte wrote it, keep in mind that only about 2 chapters out of the 700 page book are focused on player options. Sure, he recommends that you use his other books with it, but the Ptolus book itself doesn't really contain anything broken (except perhaps the firearms, but I ignore those).

Oh, I'm not one to dislike something just because of who wrote it -- I recently bought a monster book coauthored by Mr. Cook because the contents looked cool. I've just noticed that he and I don't really click.

As for Ptolus, I have no interest in shelling out $100+ (or $75+, or even $50+) for a city/setting that I will never use. And it's not just Ptolus; I'm not going to buy the World's Largest City, the Wilderlands setting, the Known World boxed set, Castle Zagyg, or anything else along those lines. I'm still not sure what possessed me to buy the City State of the Invincible Overlord. I prefer to sit down and do the creation myself -- and since the campaign I'm DMing is on maternity-induced hiatus, I have lots of time to do that.

#24 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:08 AM

As for WotC revoking the OGL with 4th Ed -- I won't be heartbroken.

What chills me about that thought is that it would mean (wouldn't it?) Wizards wouldn't make the System Reference Document available anymore. That's such a valuable resource, now that so many players are on the Web.

Or you could use a book, a real book, something you can physicaly pick up and hold in your hand!

You know, something you can actualy take to your gaming session and use as opposed to something you could access from your computer a mere 15 to 20 miles away from all the places that you play! Yeah, that's one hell of a bus ride back home to do a rules check on something isn't it?

#25 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

Or you could use a book, a real book, something you can physicaly pick up and hold in your hand!

You mean something like my Palm Pilot, which has the SRD files on it?

Heck, it has a die roller too, and a drawing program. I could play D&D at a moment's notice.

#26 The_Nalic

The_Nalic

Goblin

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBradford, W. Yorks

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

When i played banewarrens through with Nick (for bradfordians) I really enjoyed the city bit. I played as a LN fighter with a background of being the remnants of a noble house of ptolus that had been mostly wiped out by house vladam. So i spent a lot of time trying to elevate my house to its former position, establishing a residance and so on was good fun. However the dungeon bask was a little less entertaining as the party druid (no names mentioned here to protect the guilty ;) ) and his pets killed anything before i got into the fight. On reflection fighters are a little dull but it had been an age since i had played one and wanted to see if i could make one with character and interest instead of the 2 dimensional usual fare.

There came a point though that when house vladam got involved it became the prime motivation for the character to go into the warrens and make sure they didnt get their stinking hands on anything. i mean if we could break into the place as 5 random guys then surely a powerful house with demon mates will probably get in too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge