38 replies to this topic

#21 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

Since magic items seem to not suffer from much wear and tear, some items that are pricey may have been in a family for many generations.

Then again, D&D economy never really made since. By the players handbook prices the average peasant can not make enough money in a week to eat for 1 day. Unless the PHB prices indicate food of a signifcantly higher quality then a peasant will ever see.

#22 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

Then again, D&D economy never really made since. By the players handbook prices the average peasant can not make enough money in a week to eat for 1 day. Unless the PHB prices indicate food of a signifcantly higher quality then a peasant will ever see.

Or unless the adventurers always pay a steep markup. It's not like most merchants are going to see adventurers as repeat business.

And, obligatory reality check, the D&D economy doesn't make sense because economies are huge, complicated, ever-changing things that even economists don't understand and crafting rules for simulating one in a world in which wealth can literally appear from (and disappear into) thin air would drive anyone insane.

#23 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

I have started to gather the ideas into a Word document so that they can do sorted out. Once we have a load I will upload it as a PDF and we can see what we think :D

Hal :hal:

#24 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Wa, USA

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

It's not an issue! I just thought it might be good to have the complete info for all of the items :D

I appreciate that the item creation rules might not be appropriate for the items but we can address that with a "market value" or perhaps some new item creation rules for mundane items.

Perhaps they can be made in batches, like potions should be :D

Not a worry. I did the math just for fun.

Washboard of Cleaning
Market Price: 6250 gp, Creation Cost: 3125 gp

Seamstress' Needle & Thread of Repair
Market Price: 1750 gp, Creation Cost: 875 gp

Lady's Comb of Comeliness
Market Price: 1750 gp, Creation Cost: 875 gp

Dust of The Huntsman
Market Price: 16500 gp, Creation Cost: 8250 gp

Trivet of the Hostess
Market Price: 2500 gp, Creation Cost: 1250 gp

Knife Block of The Master Chef
Market Price: 55125 gp, Creation Cost: 27562.5 gp

Pillowcase of Boogeyman Warding
Market Price: 24750 gp, Creation Cost: 12375 gp
(maybe the king is the only one that can bloody afford it after all)

-----

Blanket of The Urchin
This blanket is nondescript in just about every way. Made of a generic material they are sometimes made from scrap material like a patchwork quilt. This blanket is often times made in large numbers by the clergy of good religious organizations and given out as gifts on days of generousity and giving of thanks. They are a common possession amongst the elderly or "veteran" of life on the streets. An unspoken rule exists amongst those living on the streets is to never steal another's blanket. A wicked retribution surely awaits those that break this social moray among the homeless. This item functions to keep the owner warm on days of frigid cold or cool on days of blistering heat.

Minor Abjuration; CL 3rd; Endure Elements; Craft Wondrous Item, Price: usually free to homeless or 2500 gp; Creation Cost: 1250 gp; Weight: 1 lb

Boot Polish of Cleanliness
This small metal tin contains a thick black resin like boot polish. It is often used by military men, soldiers of fortune and nobility to polish their parade dress boots or leather footwear. Any water, dirt, dust, grime, mud or anything else is immediately will be repelled, merely sliding right off like melting butter. It has 50 uses per tin of polish.

Minor Universal; CL 3rd; Prestidigitation; Craft Wondrous Item, Market Price: 375 gp, Creation Cost 187.5 gp; Weight: 0.01 lb

Pint-Glass of The Powderkeg
This pint-glass is made of polished finely ground quartz, amethyst or jade. These are highly sought after by carousers and merry-makers of all kinds. This cup is sure to make the owner the life of the party. Only the most dedicated of party-goers are sold this item. Any alcohol poured into and drank from the pint-glass grants the individual imbibing the contents the benefits of the Delay Poison. With all things comes balance, sadly the imbiber is also effected by the Touch of Idiocy spell. It is hotly debated on whether the unfortunate side-effects are the cause of making the imbiber the life of the party or not.

Minor Conjuration/Enchantment; CL 3rd; Delay Poison, Touch of Idiocy; Craft Wondrous Item; Market Price: 21000 gp, Creation Cost: 10500 gp; Weight: 0.5 lb

Quill of The Scribe
This fine writing quill is often used by scribes for drafting written documents. It will never run out of ink. It can only be used to draw, write, inscribe non-magical documents. It is sometimes given to scribes as a sign of thanks for years of faithful service by their employer.

Minor Conjuration; CL 3rd; Inky Cloud; Craft Wondrous Item; Market Price: 2500 gp; Creation Cost: 1250 gp; Weight: N/A
(please see Inky Cloud from Spell Compendium for precise details)

-----

More to follow tomorrow as I draft up further stuff. :)

#25 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

I have started to gather the ideas into a Word document so that they can do sorted out. Once we have a load I will upload it as a PDF and we can see what we think

I suggest leaving out that ritual I ginned up. As I implied, I think I may have gotten that idea from someplace else.

#26 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

No problem :D

Perhaps we can draw up the stats for a House Sprite that keeps the home tidy and generally looks after hearth and home types stuff and have a spell to summon that instead :D

Hal :hal:

#27 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

Farmer's Almanac
This large book/tome is weathered and beaten as if it's seen regular heavy use. Despite it's wear it's very rugid and capable of withstanding a severe amount of abuse. When consulting this tome a farmer can determine if planting or harvesting at a given time is advisable. The answers from this tome are only for crops, game and are exclusively farm related. It is unable to give advice on any other topic.

Minor Divination; CL 3rd; Augury; Craft Wondrous Item; Market Price: 2500 gp; Creation Cost: 1250 gp; Weight: 4 lb

Outhouse Stone
This stone is often times carved to resemble a berry of some nature roughly the size of a man's fist. Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries or Gooseberries are popular choices. When touched this stone fills the room a blast of air; scented with whatever berry the stone is carved to resemble.

Minor Transmutation, Evocation; CL 3rd; Goodberry, Gust of Wind; Craft Wondrous Item, Market Price: 14250 gp, Creation Cost: 7125 gp; Weight: 1 lb

Summon Domovoi
Conjuration (Summoning) [see text]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One summoned fey creature
Duration: 1 week/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a creature resembling a small haggard, bearded man. Sometimes dressed in worn cotton clothes or other times completely covered in hair. This creature has 2HD (7hp) it is pacifist in nature. It is a Diminutive sized creature with the Fey type. It speaks Common and Sylvan. It will never leave the house or place of residence in which it was cast. If this spell is cast in a place which is not a domicile or place of residence the spell fails.

The Domovoi creature occupies itself with tidying the home in which it was summoned. It takes care of basic simple mundane tasks of housekeeping. In case of fire or an intruder it will wake the head of the household. It handles some basic cooking duties, cleaning of dishes, dusting, tidying and organizing tasks. It can never be ordered, it performs the tasks it deems important. It can be bargained with for a specific task that requires attention.

Domovoi's have been described as being protective but also pranksterish in nature. It is not uncommon for the household to experience brief minor practical jokes, hijinks, misplaced items and the like. The Domovoi's are to their credit never malicious in their jokes and can be appeased by leaving a gift of some bread and a bowl of milk or beer. Indeed many domovoi over time can take a liking to the people in the household and it can be said that they can be protective of those within the house.

Often times called the "arcane bachelours best friend"; surely a practical joke now or then is but a minor price to pay for having the linens washed, folded or the dishes being done on a regular basis.

Material Component
A bowl of milk or beer, some bread and an old shoe

#28 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

Perhaps we can draw up the stats for a House Sprite that keeps the home tidy and generally looks after hearth and home types stuff and have a spell to summon that instead :D

Done. Your wish is my command. It's funny you mention that as I was thinking of drafting up that very thing. That's a strange bit of serendipity. :)

#29 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:10 PM

Don't know about GP cost,etc, but I'd find this useful.

Purse of Small Change: For those times when you collect way too much change. Your wallet/moneypouch will temporarily convert your cash into the smallest number of coins to carry (your CP become SP, SP become GP, etc). This only lasts whilst you carry it - as soon as you hand over the cash to a shopkeeper or bandit mugging you, it reverts back to its original coinage.
(Those of a disreputable nature could use this to flash around their apparent wealth - look, I have gold!)
:D

#30 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:42 PM

I'll do up the math for the cost, etc. Just give me one moment.

#31 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

Huh! So I did the math and well i am not sure if I did it correct or not. I wish things were more formalized in making magical items. A bit of it is just guess work. Here are the numbers I came up with for your item.

Coinpurse of The Moneychanger
Familiar Pocket (see Spell Compendium)
A) 100 charges (unlimited): (1 x 1 x 750) * 2 = 1500
B) use-activated: 1 x 1 x 2000 / 2 = 1000
Total: 2500

Polymorph
A) 100 charges (unlimited): (4 x 7 x 750) * 2 = 42000
B) Duration Adjustment: 42000 * 2 = 84000
Total: 126000

Base price adjustment multiple powers: 2500 * 1.5 = 3750 + 126000

Market Price: 129750 gp, Creation Cost: 64875 gp

-----

I did some thinking about this and I think I found some spells that should be suitable for this item. I first was going to use Major Creation and Secret Chest but after doing the math it turned out to be stupidly expensive. So I went with Polymorph instead and we'll just use it instead as we're turning the coins into a different value/worth. Instead of actually creating new coinage. That and Familiar Pocket will handle the extra-dimensional space issue for storing the coinage.

I may have fudged things by using the grossly cheaper Familiar Pocket as the base for the price adjustment for multiple powers but the math works out cheaper this way and what's a little fudging of math between friends eh?

#32 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

Water Watch
This item appears to be a crystal sphere affixed to an elegant chain and small enough to sit in a human hand. Upon closer inspection one can see within the sphere a delicate network of glass tubes, metal dials and wooden frames, containing a tiny quantity of colored fluid. A DC 10 Knowledge (architecture and engineering) check correctly identifies this apparatus as a tiny water clock showing the correct local time and date.

The mechanism of the water watch is stable within its sphere and it is impossible to jostle or upset the timepiece without enough force to break the sphere itself. Should the sphere crack (which it will do under anything other than light handling), it implodes with a muffled crunch, reducing itself and its contents to powder and a wisp of steam.

The water watch always shows the correct time and date in a format the holder understands. If taken to another plane (and kept intact) it continues to track time on its plane of origin. If taken long distances on its plane of origin, the device will subtly adjust itself, usually in accordance with the local sunrise and sunset or other significant sidereal events.

Faint transmutation and conjuration; shrink item, create water CL 5; price 1000 gp. (not calculated)

#33 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Water Watch

Now that is damned cool. Totally useful and practical too! Mundane but totally handy and worthwhile! I can see many a gnomish tinker having that device!

#34 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

Water Watch

Now that is damned cool. Totally useful and practical too! Mundane but totally handy and worthwhile! I can see many a gnomish tinker having that device!

Thanks. I've always had a place in my heart for the poor, unpurchased water clock. It's been on the books since 1st edition, I think, and I'll bet that in all that time no one has ever bought it, or even bothered to place it in a room. It should really provide a bonus to Craft(alchemy) checks and the like, and it would be a great timer for a devious trap. I once had an idea for a really over the top monster that eats tarresques for breaqfast but has one weakness. It's DR is 25/water clock.

#35 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Water Watch

Thanks. I've always had a place in my heart for the poor, unpurchased water clock.

I have a plan to include it or a metronome as the basis for a cunning trap. Wow... epiphany. I'll have to draft that up later! But for now I have to draft up a few more mundane magic items or some more harmless spells. Back to the salt-mine!

#36 Boonide

Boonide

Stirge

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:59 AM

I saw this one in Dragon magazine (issue 342) in the ecology of the adventurer article so I don't know (for various reasons) if you can/want to use it. I found it quite funny though.

Chair of Propping
When placed against a door, this magical chair prevents the door from opening if the door is closed, or closing if the door is open. The chair can only be removed by the person who placed the chair against the door, or by an interior decorator.

Moderate evocation; CL 10th Craft Wondrous Item, wall of force; Price 100,000 gp; weight 3lb.

Seems a bit powerful for a mundane item but take it as you want.

#37 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

Ioun Stone
Color: Transparent
Shape: Tetrahedron
Effect: Repels all normal fleas, ticks, parasites, and similar vermin.
Market Price: 175 gp
Note: Unlike other ioun stones, the transparent tetrahedron does not orbit its owner's head, but hovers just out of its line of sight, so as not to cause a distraction. Also, it can be released in such a way to follow another creature, rather than the one releasing it.

Ioun stones are my favorite magical items, simply because they're so ostentatiously magical, and there just aren't enough of them in the D&D worlds.

#38 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

Apologies, I was intending to post up some more but I was occupied with other things. With luck I'll work on posting some others up. In the meantime here is one item I came up with today.

-----

Animal Collar of Domestication
Created by druids or rangers and sold to city folk. It is made of fine tanned leather with a buckle made of the finest brass or silver. This collar can turn the largest slobbering enraged dog into the nicest friendly puppy. Sought after by many parents prior to purchasing a family pet for their little one.

Minor Enchantment; CL 3rd; Charm Animal; Craft Wondrous Item; Market Price: 2500 gp; Creation Cost: 1250 gp; Weight: 0.5 lb

#39 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

Light Pump
This bulky 5' x 5' x 5' contraption, by means of lenses, mirrors, tubes, crystals, pistons, and various magical inducers, serves to force light from one region to another. The practical upshot of the device is that it can brighten dark spaces and darken bright spaces.

A light pump can only move light, not darkness, so one end of it must be connected to a lighted area, known as the reservoir, in order for the pump to operate. A typical pump can take a 10' x 10' x 10' volume of light from the reservoir and place it in another, the destination. An area must be light-tight for any change in illumination to take place. A 20' x 20' x 20' volume undergoes half as much a change in illumination - that is, a 20' x 20' x 20' reservoir will go from bright to shadowy and a 20' x 20' x 20' destination will go from pitch darkness to shadowy. Volumes 30' x 30' x 30' or larger undergo no noticeable change in illumination. The reservoir must always be at least 10' x 10' x 10' but the destination may be smaller. A smaller destination does not get any brighter than the reservoir.

Pumps large enough to brighten or darken larger areas are possible, but are rare due to the difficulty in making larger areas light-tight and the cost of building a more powerful pump. Multiple pumps can be combined to move larger volumes of light, but, again, the light-tight requirement often makes this infeasible.

The changes in illumination are uniform. The light is not brighter or darker nearer to the pump. This has the effect of eliminating shadows in the destination room. Only natural light and natural darkness are affected by the workings of a light pump. Air and heat are not affected; a torch still gives off heat even if its light has been pumped into another room. Creatures able to see in the dark see lightless flames as flame-shaped blobs of translucent vapor. Sunlight pumped into a room acts for all purposes as real sunlight, unless the room is too large to undergo illumination.

A light pump draws it power from specially cut and treated quartz crystals fused to the pump's chassis. These are consumed over the course of the machine's operation, but can last days, months, or years, depending on the designer of the pump. After the designed time, the crystals are rendered useless and the entire machine must be overhauled to return it to operation. Some light-pumps are equipped with levers that allow the pump to be effectively "turned off" though the crystals continue to be consumed. A light-pump operates almost silently, but a DC 10 Listen check adjacent to the pump will detect a soft buzzing noise.

Light-pumps are fragile and will cease working if subject to violence of any kind.

(I'm really not sure on the spells or cost for this. Light and darkness don't seem appropriate because they simply create light. Maybe some kind of conjuration makes sense. It should be quite expensive, in any case. Also heavy.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge