• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 JavaJack

JavaJack

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:12 PM

Maybe one of your listeners has an old one they'd donate.

It would cut down on all those ear-piercing distortion-inducing outbursts from that shouting dwarf fellow :D

#2 JavaJack

JavaJack

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:14 PM

On the plus side, the mp3pro plugin makes a WORLD of difference! I was pleasantly surprised by it.

#3 Dragonkin

Dragonkin

Resident Swedish Dragon

• Patrons
  • 485 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:37 PM

Aww... but Balazaar Attacks are part of the fun.

#4 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:52 PM

Me LOUD? never!

I'm just big-lunged for my height is all!

Surely you wouldn't want to compress a poor dwarf any further would you? :D

B.
P.S. Do you have any more information on compressors/limiters? (I can think of a Halfling who I could use it on...)

#5 JavaJack

JavaJack

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:54 PM

Don't really know all that much about it, truth be told. But for a quick test try running the whole show through Audacity's compressor filter set around 3:1, either before, or after denoising (try both). Fiddle with the threshhold and see if it helps.

#6 JavaJack

JavaJack

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:03 PM

Googling around, I found this, which you can use in Audacity via the VST enabler:
http://www.smartelec...ugins.php?id=10

#7 JavaJack

JavaJack

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:23 AM

Useful explanations of typical audio gadgets:
http://videoexpert.h...tic1/audgad.htm

#8 JavaJack

JavaJack

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

Oh yeah, another quick thing that might improve the audio would be to tack up some old quilts around the walls, and maybe toss a couple on the floor if it's not carpeted.

#9 Guest_Guestie_*

Guest_Guestie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:01 AM

I admit it, I am a Balazar fan. The outbursts are the primary reason I listen. That and the GM's fine asides about things such as "poor old Buglak" and whatnot.

"BALAZAAR LOVES EGG NOG!"

#10 JinxRLM

JinxRLM

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:20 AM

Compression would be nice, yes.. Everytime someone shrieks, old ladies look terrified in my direction on the train :D .

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

By the way, Paul, what do you use for the voice of Kodo? And where can I buy one?

#12 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:54 AM

Remiss of me to miss this, sorry!

The Voice Changer I picked up in Shetland several years ago, from a Toy Shop in the big city of Lerwick. They are generally available (in the UK) around Halloween in the Childrens 'dress-up' areas. About £8 or so.

Some of our new equipment has a Limiter, but we're saving pennies to buy a half-decent mic that will plug into it.

After we've got the last of the new equipment Yog-Radio at least will be moving up to 48KBPS/44Khz without the need for MP3pro formatting. The Masks game will use the new equipment, but likely not at the higher bit rate unless the BitTorrent idea takes off.

Egg Nog, mmmmmm! :)

Paul

#13 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

I know nobody wants to, but I'll say this yet again. WMA is a good audio format - and can be played back even by Ipods (through conversion).

a 32kbps WMA audio quality is roughly equivalent to a 64kbps MP3. It would save download time, and Ipod is the only player which requires a quick conversion (automatically done through itunes anyway) to playback. All the other players generally play it natively. Why is WMA better than MP3Pro? Because Mp3pro cannot be converted without a proprietary converter, without losing the Pro quality. WMA is always good.

#14 Rillietann

Rillietann

Kobold

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationHebden Bridge

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

I dont know how good it would be for group recordings but i have a spare Shure SM58 you lot can have to record sessions if you want it (free, gratis)

#15 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:47 AM

I dont know how good it would be for group recordings but i have a spare Shure SM58 you lot can have to record sessions if you want it (free, gratis)

Fantastic! A Shure SM58 would be ideal for some of the recordings we're planing, thank you!

Please do get in touch via PM

Paul

#16 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:59 AM

I agree about WMA and low bit rates, it's just that MP3 has the weight of audience behind it. Out of interest Shathis, what do you normally do with the files when you get them?

#17 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:19 AM

Well, I've got a batch to do it now, but basically what I do is this:

1. Split all files into 25 minute chunks using a program that auto-numbers the chunks (ie: YogRadio6-001.mp3, YogRadio6-002.mp3, etc.) I do this because sometimes the forward button is pressed, or the battery is jolted a bit at an inopportune time, and it's easier to fast forward to find your place again in a 25 minute file rather than a 3 hour Masks marathon. :)

2. use my slightly modified version of DbPoweramp to reconvert them into WMA files at 48kbps/44khz. (Like 99% of players, my MP3 player doesn't do MP3Pro natively) However, my dbpoweramp is modified with the mp3pro dll, so it keeps the high quality of the PRO file, while converting it into something that can be played on any player.

I believe WMA is easily as ubiquitous, due to the fact that every computer that can play MP3 pretty much can play WMAs, Ipod only doesn't natively because Apple tries to block it - and even so, Itunes auto-converts it. I am set up and have the knowledge to convert a WMA to an MP3, but I feel Pro, while good - loses something, because most people don't realise that it's a "pro file" and never bother to pick up the pro player software. And really, only 1 in 99 mp3 players can play them at high quality.

I'm not really a Microsoft junkie, don't get me wrong. I just find WMA is a good format and has the support on nearly every player that MP3 does these days.

#18 mchvlichldprdgy

mchvlichldprdgy

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationTrying to type my way out of this paper bag.

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:16 PM

I'd agree that the .wma switch would be good if you see a problem with audio quality. Personally I've only had problems with WLD 29. I used quicktime to up the quality and remove background static and the like then used itunes vocal booster equalizer setting. I'm just saying that I don't see a problem with the audio as it is, but I wouldn't complain about the wma switch either.

#19 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:50 PM

I think Paul's real concern here is more about maintaining MP3PRO-level quality without making massively-sized files.

As far as I know, the only fairly ubiquitous other file format with the same quality as MP3Pro out there is WMA.

#20 Cadallin

Cadallin

Raven

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:39 AM

WMA is way too proprietary. WMA may be ubiquitous to some extent, but there are plenty of us that don't like it, and it doesn't work with iPods, and it doesn't play too terribly well with 'macs in general. I am of the opinion that you can't really switch formats without alienating a significant portion of your established base.

Ogg is nicer, but doesn't work with iPods either (I'm looking at you Apple!), at least not natively. Sticking with mp3 ensures that your files are playable everywhere (I've never heard of a portable digital music player that doesn't play mp3, are there any?), and perhaps even more importantly, the widespread existence of open-source encoder/decoders for mp3 ensures that the files will ALWAYS be playable. I think this is important because RPGMP3.com's productions are stuff for the ages.

A much better solution would be to try and make sure you don't clip the audio while recording, and then just run the master recordings through Audacity's compressor, set to somewhere about 10dB or so (audacity's defaults are ok). Then encode to mp3 at standard settings. That would improve listenability a very great deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge