• Create Account
Photo

Characters you’d like to hear in action.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Flumph

Feral_Flumph

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on less common sorts of characters it would be especially interesting to hear the RPG MP3 folks playing.

I can imagine Lindsay having lots of fun playing some sort of shape-changer, say a Divine Minion (Wizards of the cost website template) Master of Many Forms (Complete Adventurer) with Exalted Wild Shape (Book of Exalted Deeds). Forms like Blink Dog and Unicorn give plenty of options for clever thinking to get around problems but it can also become a monster of a melee combatant (literally). Just picture everyone’s reaction the first time she turns into a War Troll and puts the party fighter to shame. heaps of cheese involved… understand some people consider that to somehow be “a bad thing”, though I’ve never really seen it myself…

A Warlock (Complete Arcane) might be an interesting change (an arcane type who can actually do something every round, and doesn’t have any idea what a Magic Missile is). Warblade (Tome of Battle) can do all the normal fighter stuff, with lots of tricks of it’s own. A smart player can do some neat stuff with the Ghaele Monstrous Class progression (Savage Species).

Shure there are lots of other options out there that would put a bit of a twist on things, what can everyone else think up

#2 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

A Warlock (Complete Arcane) might be an interesting change (an arcane type who can actually do something every round, and doesn’t have any idea what a Magic Missile is).

Please no. It's got to be the most rediculous broken unbalanced front end heavy class they've ever come up with. Despite their ability to create and use every kind of magic item they still seem to just blast every round at high level.

I'd be interested in hearing a Mage of the Arcane Order (just think, Paul could memorise whatever spells he wants and then spontaneously change them into fireballs and magic missiles or maybe, just maybe, someone cunning like Steve or Fin could come up with some creative spell use like downloading Knock, Grease, Tenser's Floating Disc and all manner of cool utility spells to fit the situation).

#3 Feral_Flumph

Feral_Flumph

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

Ok, maybe blast after blast would loose it’s novelty after too many levels (never played one my self, but I think I’d at lest throw in a shatter and that tentacles thing every now and then)

How about a beguiler for a caster then; no blast potential whatsoever, but lots of spells to be used creatively with the potential for roleplaying value.

#4 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

I'd dearly love to hear a recording of a group using psionic classes.

Welcome to the boards, Feral_Flumph.

#5 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

I'd dearly love to hear a recording of a group using psionic classes.

Welcome to the boards, Feral_Flumph.

Please tell me they've fixed the blatant typo where they missed out the words "simple and martial" after the word "all" when stating which weapon proficiencies one of the psionic prestige classes gets sas a class feature. Granting it all weapon proficiencies was just obscenely broken.

Oh, and welcome to the boards Feral Flumph :).

#6 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:16 PM

Please tell me they've fixed the blatant typo where they missed out the words "simple and martial" after the word "all" when stating which weapon proficiencies one of the psionic prestige classes gets sas a class feature.

I'd never heard that, and a quick check through the Psionic Classes from the 3.5 SRD doesn't reveal any such typo.

Granting it all weapon proficiencies was just obscenely broken.

Well, yes. A typo is definitely a break.

#7 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

Please tell me they've fixed the blatant typo where they missed out the words "simple and martial" after the word "all" when stating which weapon proficiencies one of the psionic prestige classes gets sas a class feature.

I'd never heard that, and a quick check through the Psionic Classes from the 3.5 SRD doesn't reveal any such typo.

It's the mindflayer hunter one. In the 3.0 psionics book it was listed in being proficient in (and I quote here) "all weapons". Considering everything else it gave I seriously hope that was a typo (as such a huge class feature would be more likely to be a fighter prestige class if anything).

#8 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:23 PM

It's the mindflayer hunter one. In the 3.0 psionics book it was listed in being proficient in (and I quote here) "all weapons". Considering everything else it gave I seriously hope that was a typo (as such a huge class feature would be more likely to be a fighter prestige class if anything).

There, there, the bad book is gone now. Wizards of the Coast has made it allllll better.

#9 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

No they haven't. I can't afford the new one :P. Anyway, it'd be fun to hear some people playing stuff they want to (because they'll enjoy it more than being dictated to) but there's always things we'd like to see other people try out to hear their opinions.

#10 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

No they haven't. I can't afford the new one :P.

What's to have to afford? If you can live without githyanki, and mindflayers, and other copywrited (copywritten?) stuff, have a nearby computer with web access, and have a book with experience tables in, this is all you need:

http://www.systemref..._sage/home.html

Bookmark that puppy. I think I'll put it in my sig for the masses.

#11 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

Amusingly the psionic prestige classes aren't in the SRD :).

#12 Feral_Flumph

Feral_Flumph

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

That’s nothing, there’s a typo in the Complete Adventurer that gives the Vigilante 33 3rd level spells per day at 10th level (but no 4th… )

#13 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

Amusingly the psionic prestige classes aren't in the SRD :).

They are, but not via that site. What a pain. Try the first hit for "SRD" from Google:
http://www.d20srd.or...killsSpells.htm

#14 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:10 AM

I'm so glad they realised it was a typo. I thought they'd let some demented powergamer write the book (oh wait, they did :P).

#15 katheb

katheb

Kobold

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

I would like to see a Monk in action [I want to see a kobold die to multiple kicks to the face!]

#16 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

Didn't notice this thread until katheb's necromancy, and how Balgin can focus on the really misguided view of the EPH's material (not Complete Psionic, that has some poorly edited stuff), when Flumph's first suggestion with Divine Minion was just broken broken broken (as some would put it on this board). :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge