#21 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

I'm not meaning to pick on you, I'm interested in understanding. We can take this to private messages if you want, but taking threads off track seems to be the order of the day on this site.

Erm...see my last post...

And threads do stay on topic, but we are a fairly relaxed forum..

I can get stern on your ass if needed :whip:

#22 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

In that case I think that Keener got it spot on. If a bad retelling makes people think ill of the original (or if a bad retelling makes people with bad atste think they like it, and then they kick up a fuss about how it's "nuffink like da telly vershun" and spoil true fans' enjoyment of it) then it's a bad retelling.

#23 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

I dont mind the films, but as LotR's is my all time fav book, since the age of 10, it upsets me that people think the films "are it"...in my opinion, the books offer so much more..the descriptions, the emotions take the story to another level...and the other problem with the films is artist licence...to make a blockbuster, you change bits, and add bits. I appreciate this, but I do think that this makes people beleive the film, and not think about the book..

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you, I just wanted to chase down what Balgin was saying.

It's the classic "book vs. movie" argument. I'm glad that a good movie might make an obscure or hard-to-grapple with book easier for people to access. I mean, no one should really have to read the Council of Elrond chapter. I heard of one person whose father abbreviated it to "They decide to take the ring to Mordor," and who didn't learn that it was actually a huge, dense chapter until years later. If someone made an honest effort to read the books and chokeed on that chapter, I for one couldn't blame them, since it took me a couple of tries myself. Same for people who thought they might like the book based on the setting or the theme, or the fact that they liked The Hobbit, but then heard that it had dull parts and let it lie. If they can get into the movie versions, more power to them. The main aspects of the story are there, so it's okay if some of the details must be left behind or changed.

#24 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

Erm...see my last post...

And threads do stay on topic, but we are a fairly relaxed forum..

I can get stern on your ass if needed :whip:

Be careful Lindsay carries a mean whip. :D Anyways on another note Hal are you going to be posting all of the Sunless Citadel fairly quicky or are you going to stretch it out a bit?

#25 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

Oh, and Fin, the reason people play Elven Wizards. Bonus to Dex gives you a better armor class and the additional weapon proficiencies open up the wizard's choices. Wizard with a longbow far more useful than wizard with a staff. :)

#26 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

Still listening through Char Gen (I love Char Gen sessions). Steve, you're shaking my faith in you as a D&D guru. Being Small is a +1 to hit, not a -1. :) Large is a -1 to hit.

#27 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:33 PM

Being Small is a +1 to hit, not a -1.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Feylin had some problems with that too, losing and gaining bonuses when it was forgotten what granted them. I'm hoping they'll catch the mistake midgame.

#28 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:35 PM

A lot of the mistakes are generally my fault *...I am crap at remember ing bonuses etc, and its my place really to try and learn them...doh!

I intend to be better...

* (its becasue I role play nude, obviously)

#29 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:49 PM

* (its becasue I role play nude, obviously)

Very true. . . that's what generally caused the rest of us to make mistakes. . . 8O

#30 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

Exactly, cant be helped really...mistakes under stress are inevetable :D

#31 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

Just to let you know, I've sat down with pencil and paper and started doodling Lindsay's BadgerGone. It's probably nothing like she imagiend it but it's just the mental image I originaly got when hearing the first character description. I've also got rough mental images of the two dwarfs (one who keeps insisting he's "not fat" and one who's slimmer but considerably more hairy). I haven't got much of a mental image for Finn's human yet.

When the sketch is looking a little better I'll shove it up here for you guys to look at (and laugh at and mock, or praise if you see fit).

What sort of leather armour should she have? Propper leather armour of the kinky 3rd ed bondage stuff that really wouldn't work at all?

#32 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

Cool, Looking forward to seeing it...unless its really unflattering,then i will hunt you down and make you a enuch (sp)... :twisted:

#33 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Cool, Looking forward to seeing it...unless its really unflattering,then i will hunt you down and make you a enuch (sp)... :twisted:

I haven't drawn the nose yet :P. Haven't started on her clothes and armour either although I'm starting to get this idea of a leather strap around her arm between the shoulder and elbow to hold in a baggy sleeve (very three musketeers kind of thing). I'll see how it turns out.

#34 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Please screw it up Balgin I haven't been to a ritual castration in months. :twisted:

#35 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Well I have absolutely no idea what Lindsay might consider unflattering but I just went with the first mental image that sprange to mind but sketched it in very lightly so it can be altered as I go along (if any better ideas come along).

#36 SteveB

SteveB

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationVarious

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

Still listening through Char Gen (I love Char Gen sessions). Steve, you're shaking my faith in you as a D&D guru. Being Small is a +1 to hit, not a -1. :) Large is a -1 to hit.

I was just imagining it how it should be...small people must have a harder time hitting people than big people :?

Classic cartoon stylie - big person puts hand on small persons head and they can't reach them... :lol:

The whole Small people hit things easier is rubbish really 8)

#37 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

I was just imagining it how it should be...small people must have a harder time hitting people than big people :?

Classic cartoon stylie - big person puts hand on small persons head and they can't reach them... :lol:

The whole Small people hit things easier is rubbish really 8)

Well, just about everything else about combat (except AC) for small characters is crap, especially the weapons. It kind of makes some sense. Larger creatures "swing slower" and thus are easier to avoid, hence the penalty. They're also easier to hit, hence their AC penalty.

Small characters are faster and have smaller items with which to hit a larger target, hence the bonus to hit. They're also harder to hit, hence the AC bonus. Against creatures of their own size, the bonuses are negated, since they get a +1 to hit, but their opponent also gets a +1 to AC.

#38 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

The whole Small people hit things easier is rubbish really.

It's a good move from a game balance perspective. Makes small creatures worth something in melee combat.

Really, guys, the D&D rules aren't that bad if you give them a chance. Why not try to come up with ways reality mimics the rules instead of getting down on the rules for not mimicking every aspect of reality? That's a lot to ask of any game.

#39 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:17 AM

Well I took a photo of my (very rough and unfinished) sketch today so I'll see about getting that uploaded sometime tonight or tomorrow or teusday or wednesday. Then I'll PM Lindsay a link and she can let me know what she thinks then I can improve it so that we both like it as I'm sure her mental image differs greatly and mine's not very good anyway. it was a quick !oh that's an idea" response. Not a "now how can I make that idea actualy not look crap" consideration.

#40 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

Okay, I've Pm'd a copy to Lindsay for approval/disdain etc as promised and then we'll see if I can be bothered to try to turn it into a propper picture (as it's still only in sketch form right now).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge