16 replies to this topic

#1 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:32 PM

I've looked all over and I can't find the statistic blocks for the new characters Steve, Fin, and Richard brought into the party. Will those ever be posted or am I missing something?

#2 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

I think they were posted around the time the site had a crash, so I think they might need re posting...Ill get Hal on to it.

Lindsay

#3 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

Much obliged. In the case of Steve's character, is there any chance of getting some annotation of which of his abilities is providing which game effects? So far in my listening it sounds like he's got an aura of calm and "nonlethal substitution," but maybe also that boosts his damage (other than huge strength), but maybe it will all make sense when I see the stat block.

#4 SteveB

SteveB

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationVarious

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

Hmmm, I'll have to see what I can remember!!

Er, to start with, he was exalted and so had a Vow of Poverty, which increased stats and such like. He had monk levels which increased his unarmed damage from the base (which was higher than normal as he was a half-dragon anyway :D ). He was also a fighter, and so had weapon spec in unarmed...but strength was the main factor in the damage stakes :P

The Calming Aura was part of a Vow of Peace. This also counted for weapons shattering harmlessly off of his skin...

His high AC was down to being a) a half-dragon; b) a monk; c) poverty stricken; and d) peaceful (:P)

The Book of Exalted Deeds is well worth a look for those of you with a penchant for the holy :D

#5 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hmmm, I'll have to see what I can remember!!

Er, to start with, he was exalted and so had a Vow of Poverty, which increased stats and such like. He had monk levels which increased his unarmed damage from the base (which was higher than normal as he was a half-dragon anyway :D ).

I hadn't considered that. Did you upgrade his bite attack as well as his claws? My understanding is that Monk levels don't increase the damage of natural attacks, just unarmed attacks, subtle though that distinction is. Was he taking iterative attacks (those derived from a base attack of 6 or more) with his natural weapons?

He was also a fighter, and so had weapon spec in unarmed...but strength was the main factor in the damage stakes :P

Happy to see people taking Fighter levels. His Strength bonus was +10, yes? I can see +4 from the half-dragon template, but I think I'm missing some other bonuses. Can you fill me in?

The Calming Aura was part of a Vow of Peace. This also counted for weapons shattering harmlessly off of his skin...

Gotcha. Is there any way to counter that besides a saving throw or being immune to mind-affecting magic?

His high AC was down to being a) a half-dragon; b) a monk; c) poverty stricken; and d) peaceful (:P)

The Book of Exalted Deeds is well worth a look for those of you with a penchant for the holy :D

What do you say to people who feel it's unbalanced or broken? Does the book offer counters to its various abilities so an adventure that's not prepared for something like Calming Aura can be adjusted to provide a challenge? If you were the DM to a character with such abilities. how would you handle him? All I can think of is large undead and constructs, maybe wave upon wave of conjured creatures (in hopes of one getting a good saving throw) and ranged magic - which I guess worked pretty well on Golden Justice until he got energy resistance (is that part of the Vow of Poverty?). Manufactured ranged weapons would just shatter on him, right? Sounds like that ability would pretty much negate any enemy fighters. I'm sure that's the idea, but that has the potential to really steer a lot of adventure ideas into the ground.

There was something about subdual damage as well, as I recall. I looked that feat up when I was at the bookstore but I can't remember if it can be turned off. I assume it can, since GJ was able to damage constructs, the undead, and doors.

Thanks for the information. Sorry if I sound nitpicky. I really just want to learn more about the Book of Exalted Deeds, so maybe I can incorporate parts of it later instead of banning it outright, which is my current feeling.

#6 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

The Book of Exalted Deeds is sort of like the Book of Vile Darkness but with much bigger numbers (and nowhere near as depraved).

#7 SteveB

SteveB

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationVarious

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

The Book of Exalted Deeds is well worth banning in almost any campaign...a lot of players (myself included during the later stages of WLD :( ) tend to abuse the material...everything requires you to be the purest of the pure towards Good.

Most of the stuff is good for almost any class, but Vow of Poverty really only works well with Monks, Druids, Clerics (to some extent), Wizards and Sorcerers. Anyone else, especially those who rely on equipment like weapons and armour, just finds it too restrictive.

The main advantages of a Vow of Poverty are:
:idea: Bonus 'Exalted' feats every other level;
:idea: Stat increases every 4th level after 7th (e.g. +2 @7th, +4/+2 @ 11th, +6/+4/+2 @ 15th and +8/+6/+4/+2 @ 19th);
:idea: Allowing any weapon you wield to count as Magical/Good, and increasing the enhancement bonus of said weapons every so often (up to +5);
:idea: Ability to not eat or drink and later not breathe;
:idea: Energy Resistance to all energy types starting at 5 and increasing to 15;
:idea: True Seeing, Mind Shielding and Free Action constantly;
:idea: Bonuses to AC - 'Exalted' (i.e. armour), Deflection and Natural Armour;
:idea: Resistance bonuses to Saves;
:idea: Damage Reduction 5/Magic, rising to 5/Evil then 10/Evil.

All this is in exchange for owning nothing except a basic set of clothes, a sack, a days worth of rations and water, a holy symbol (if required), a spell component pouch, a spellbook (I assume) and non-magic, non-masterwork simple weapons (usually just a staff).

Having dug out my character creation notes (as Hal has my character sheet and it is about halfway to Texas by now) I realised that his increased damage dice from his claws was from a feat from the monster manual that increased the damage dice by one for one of your natural attacks - chosen as claw in this instance. His Weapon Spec was in claw too.

I'll have to check the actual charater sheet for the rest of the stuff (extra attacks and such) as I think we may have been using them from a feat (possibly multiattack?) as I don't think he had a high enough BAB to get multiple unarmed strikes...it's been a very long time though, so I could be remembering a different character entirely :oops:

I do recall, however, that Vow of Peace had a fairly harsh disadvantage in that, at several points in big fights, half the party were unable to make the will save to act aggressively towards the enemy :D

As to campaign ideas for exalted characters, peaceful, poverty-stricken and otherwise, the BoED has a fair number of ideas and springboards to get you started, but, as I said at the beginning, it's well worth not even picking it up if you have people who will just abuse it and if you don't like taking stuff away from your players...

#8 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

Okay, thanks for the info, Steve.

I'm now intrigued with the idea of making a Vow of Poverty Fighter who specializes in the quarterstaff.

#9 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

*Bump*

Been lurking for a while, and decided to post...
Have been making my way through WLD & have arrived at the point where Golden Justice n' friends have arrived and just started unleashing absolute ownage upon whatever poor sods get in their way...
I went to have a look at what the flipping heck was going on in their stat block, but found nothing... scoured the site for info and found this... does the trail end here? :cry:

Cheers,
SG

#10 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:12 AM

Welcome.

I don't think there's any more stat blocks beyond about level 9 or 10.
I recently re-listened to the WLD sessions again though. I'm pretty sure Golden Justice was a Half-Dragon (from the Monster Manual) Monk with a Vow of Poverty and various other Vows (all from the book of Exalted Cheese.. er.. Deeds).

#11 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:37 AM

Fair enough,
I was wondering if the character sheets are floating around somewhere, it would be cool if the stat blocks were updated, but as moving can result in lost items... and natural disasters I imagine could have a similar effect, i suppose i shouldn't be holding my breath :)
Anyway, thanks guys,
-SG

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:25 AM

hmmm - this is correct unfortunately. yes he was a half dragon with a vow of poverty. Frightening.

I might be able to see if I can find the character details somewhere. Maybe.

Chances are they are in a box from when we moved. Maybe.

Hal :hal:

#13 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

I think Hal said in a previous post they were lost during the move.

#14 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

Fair enough, thanks for that Hal.
It's not essential, but am just curious... I didn't have the book of exulted cheese, and i was a tad confused... but now i do and I think i get what's going on with Golden Cheese... er.. Justice :)
Cheers,
SG

#15 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

Once we get out of here I will be able to look through all of our boxes and see if they are hiding somewhere. I know Paul wants a copy of Balazaar. Hopefully they are not lost forever in some warehouse in New Jersey.

#16 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hopefully they are not lost forever in some warehouse in New Jersey.

Posted Image
Nah... couldn't be...

#17 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hopefully they are not lost forever in some warehouse in New Jersey.

Posted Image
Nah... couldn't be...

Don't worry I am sure they will be exposed in the next sequel :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge