• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

Ok, we have

A. My Life with Santa 2004
B. A Marvellous Christmas 2005
C. Trouble in Tinytown 2006

All Christmas specials, all great fun. Your ratings and personal opinions, everyone?

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

Ok, we have

A. My Life with Santa 2004
B. A Marvellous Christmas 2005
C. Trouble in Tinytown 2006

All Christmas specials, all great fun. Your ratings and personal opinions, everyone?

Unfortunately I still haven't listened to Trouble in Tinytown so I will have hold off in my rating but I think that My Life with Santa will be number one.

#3 mk

mk

Goblin

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

Yes. My Life with Santa has so far been the best -- though I'm waiting for part II of Tinytown.

#4 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

though I'm waiting for part II of Tinytown.

Me too, rather have all of it if it's a one-off, and I reserve my final judgement until I've had the chance to listen to this new one.

Between the two I've heard it is very hard to judge. I like both but for different reasons.

My Life with Santa is excellent and never fails to cheer me up when I'm feeling depressed. :)

However A Marvellous Christmas I do like for the Victorian aspect especially for Hal's character, which I feel is the very definition of Toff, or as we would say nowadays Cad!

I remember my jaw opening in shock as his character described and explained his liking for ladies of the night with no teeth 8O .

If fact they were all getting so into their respective character that the revelations, although, clever were a bit of a disappointment. However the card based damage system was very novel and worked exceptionally well on audio.

#5 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

This was lots of fun - comparing it to the other Christmas episodes, as we have been asked to do on this thread, is difficult. First I’ll give my thoughts about the most recent Santa’s Soldiers.

Review of Santa’s Soldiers

The deranged cook was marvellous, the Captain elf was also quite amusing but his character began to grate on me, especially during the section involving the interrogation with the Postmaster.

The best part of this character was his demise, what a way to go!

It would have been nice to have player and characters names listed while listening like Yog-Sothoth did for their Dead Man’s Stomp game.

Are all the players of this members of this forum?

The idea of sticking the PC into a troupe notorious for failure is very funny and shows the writers of Santa’s Solder’s clearly knows how dysfunctional most role-playing can become even with the most sensible and well intentioned players.

My favourite character out of this roleplaying adventure would have to the Easter Bunny because although she didn’t put in an appearance the players built up a tangible threatening presence by constantly wondering if she was responsible for the happenings in the town.

It was almost as if they were in the grip of paranoia complex about her activities, and so I'd say she counts as a character in the game.

A Bolas was mentioned several times although I recall (perhaps wrongly), it was mentioned as some sort of sap or blackjack when I though it was a throwing entanglement weapon.

Best line of the whole game;

Can I jump to a dangerous conclusion roll?"

(part 2 59:49)

Worst bit; the repeated use of the word burglarise, which I must admit is a pet hate of mine.

(Do the Americans refer to someone who steals from houses as a burglariser?)

I know the roleplaying game is American and the PC were in an American town but come on!

A Comparison

Santa’s Soldiers wasn’t as laugh out loud as funny as the others two but Santa’s Soldiers was more consistently amusing throughout. It, compared to the others, is clearly constructed to support a fully fledged campaign.

A Marvellous Christmas’ card based combat system I though was inspired and I thoroughly enjoyed basking in all that Victorian hypocrisy, however when the twist came, I wasn’t fully convinced perhaps because I was enjoying the Victorian personalities which all the players were clearly revelling in. :)

My Life with Santa is the one I’ve returned to most often. I still have to cover my mouth to stop myself laughing out loud which is a testament to it’s comedy value.

If I was to be asked which I’d like to hear for the next Christmas special I’d have to say I’d say; either another one-off of another previously unrecorded system or another adventure for Santa’s Soldiers, but only if they didn’t use the unholy word ‘burglarise’ which makes my skin creep and if it featured the Easter Bunny.

#6 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

I have never been able to make it all the way through "My Life With Santa". It's just too much perversity in one place for me to sit through it.

"A Marvelous Christmas" was good, but when the twist was revealed (especially the thing with the doll), I cringed and shuddered. It just kind of killed it for me.

"Trouble in Tinytown" was great. I laughed, played it for my wife and she laughed. I even bought Santa's Soldiers based on the adventure. :)

So I guess my ratings are:
1. Trouble in Tinytown
2. A Marvelous Christmas
3. My Life With Santa

#7 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

I have never been able to make it all the way through "My Life With Santa". It's just too much perversity in one place for me to sit through it.

Too much perversity :?:

I have never heard of such a silly thing.

#8 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

Ok after listening to all the sessions my rating is:

1. My Life with Santa
2. Trouble in Tinytown
3. Marvelous Christmas

#9 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:52 AM

I'll go for the same order as Keener: My Life With Master/Santa especially pushed out in front by the incessant Jingle Bells music... :D

#10 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

Ah the jingle bell music just another layer of insanity in a pretty insane recording. :D

#11 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

I've loved all the Christmas specials, in there own way so it would be hard if not impossible for me to rank them.

My Life With Master/Santa for the sheer perversity and the christmas music

Marvelous Christmas I loved the reveal at the end of the actuall story line, well thought out and researched and the new light it cast on the reality of the characters and their adventures.

And of course,
Trouble in Tinytown has such delightful characters, the demented elves, the paranoia and all.

Each and every one is a gem.

#12 mk

mk

Goblin

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

Having listened to all three:

1. My Life with Santa -- can't get enough of the perversity in this one.
2. Marvellous Christmas -- Victorian period worked great, the twist was awesome, and the damage system was hilarous, but despite the research done, it didn't have a good enough ending for me (that's just me).
3. Santa's Soldiers -- Players did well with their characters, but wasn't as over the top as the last two years, despite the Gestapo Elf.

Actually Marvellous and Soldiers are about equal, but the twist kind of pushes Marvellous a bit ahead.

#13 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

Yay, everyone likes the Game I was in!

*ignores those that liked the other games best*

:D

#14 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

Ignorance is bliss. :D

#15 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:23 AM

Thank you all for your kind words. Though in truth the succes of Santa's Soldiers owes most to its carefully hand-picked cast of characters.

It is likely there will be a return to the world of Santa's Paramilitary forces some time in the future. All of my lpayers enjoyed the game so I think most of the squad canbe reassembed. Don't hold you breath, as I am in preparation for my new campaign, but if I get chance to pen one between now and then, there may well be an Easter special.

#16 mk

mk

Goblin

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:00 AM

The concept behind Santa's Soldiers was really quite interesting. I hope, if a future session is run, that we'll see the Ginger Dead Men.

#17 WerewolfPaladin

WerewolfPaladin

Stirge

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA, or some place like it

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

*is ignored* Sorry, Lindsay.

Yes, Thing, I figured my comment would get a "no such thing" sort of response, but it really was the only thing I was able to pin down about why it turned me off. I usually have a pretty big tolerance for things like that (or it doesn't bother me at all) , but for some reason, I just can't seem to get past it in My Life With Santa.

Also, I'm running Santa's Soldiers this weekend, so wish me luck. :)

#18 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

so wish me luck. :)

Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge