• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The803

The803

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

This thread is for discussion of the game system (not the game world) that would be a good fit for Internet Radio Theatre.

#2 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:44 AM

So this would be like one of the recorded games, but more scripted, or just a full out radio play?

#3 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:19 AM

How about Risk? Rimmer made it quite exciting in Red Dwarf... :P

#4 nittanyjohn

nittanyjohn

Mostly Harmless

• Patrons
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNext town over from Arkham, MA

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:05 PM

from http://www.seinfelds...LabelMaker.html
New scene.
Kramer and Newman are on a subway car, the Risk board sits on their laps.

Newman: Are you sure you know where the impound yard is?
Kramer: Oh, stop stalling. Come on.
Newman: I can't think, there's all this noise.
Kramer: Or is it because I've built a stronghold around Greenland? I've driven you out of Western Europe and I've left you teetering on the brink of complete annihilation.
Newman: I'm not beaten yet. I still have armies in the Ukraine.

This comment perks up the ears of what appears to be a Russian immigrant.

Kramer: Ha ha, the Ukraine. Do you know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.
Ukrainian: I come from Ukraine. You not say Ukraine weak.
Kramer: Yeah, well we're playing a game here, pal.
Ukrainian: Ukraine is game to you?! Howbout I take your little board and smash it!!

The Ukrainian pounds the game board, destroying it and sending army pieces flying.

#5 The803

The803

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

Sorry to be so vague...

The basic idea is to have four threads. Two of them are a standard play-by-post game (this serves as the the script). One is a thread for audio clips; each line said by a character (or the narrator) is an individual post. The last thread is the directors' thread, which is used to improve the audio clips. As the game plays out in the first two threads, the voice actors build it in the audio thread, based on instructions from the directors' thread.

The system for the first two threads is a concern, but the way that the director gives the input that shapes the audio thread is also up in the air. Hal suggested something involving fan feedback; fans would have a hand in shaping the audio interpretation of the game (or even the game itself). I myself think that would produce a mediocre final result, but it might also get people more involved, particularly if they could influence the script threads.

I think the way to do it is to give everyone involved a say, but also to give the GM / Director final cut veto power. I also think simplified d20 is the way to go for the game system, if only because it's so familiar to so many people. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#6 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:17 PM

Sorry to be so vague...

We castigate you mercilessly for it! :punish:

The basic idea is to have four threads. Two of them are a standard play-by-post game (this serves as the the script). One is a thread for audio clips; each line said by a character (or the narrator) is an individual post. The last thread is the directors' thread, which is used to improve the audio clips. As the game plays out in the first two threads, the voice actors build it in the audio thread, based on instructions from the directors' thread.

OK. Do you have to follow the PBM verbatum, or are you and/or the actors going to take what's happened as a outline?

The system for the first two threads is a concern, but the way that the director gives the input that shapes the audio thread is also up in the air. Hal suggested something involving fan feedback; fans would have a hand in shaping the audio interpretation of the game (or even the game itself). I myself think that would produce a mediocre final result, but it might also get people more involved, particularly if they could influence the script threads.

System doesn't really matter does it? If you want a good pbm system, tunnels and trolls used to be used alot (Umm, about 20 years ago :oops:). Not sure what's used these days...

As far as using fan feedback is concerned, maybe for plot direction, unless you're following a specific module or campaign. In which case that would be like Hal changing the way WLD worked 'cos we moaned about it! :D

I think the way to do it is to give everyone involved a say, but also to give the GM / Director final cut veto power. I also think simplified d20 is the way to go for the game system, if only because it's so familiar to so many people. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Choose something, ask people to sign up for the pbm and/or acting (no reason they need to be the same I guess), and try it! :)

#7 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

Personaly I'm waiting to dee what Mongoose do with their Lone Wolf d20 adaptation since they're giving it a total revamp (and hopefuly un-d20-ifying it) before making a suggestion on game system.

#8 The803

The803

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

The PBM doesn't have to be followed verbatim; the directors thread is where the fine-tuning of lines and stuff takes place.

I'm now working on an in-house system, borrowing liberally from a game called Unknown Armies. I do want to stick with the six core Ability scores from d20 (for familiarity), but I also want to get away from levels and focus on characters' motivation (rather than characters' capabilities). Relationships are the bread and butter of drama, and radio drama is no exception.

For the mechanics, I want to keep things simple; I want to avoid ever rolling more than 3 dice at once (WhiteWolf), and I also want to avoid using charts and tables (Rolemaster). Most importantly, I'd like players to come to the game with nothing more than a description of their character's motivations. This would be sort of like alignment, but would use the following questions for each character:

Conscience: What brings out your nobility and sense of altruism?
Anger: What makes you mad enough to take risks to change it?
Terror: What frightens you more than anything else?
Desire: What do you want to the point of obsession?

Unlike alignment, these motivations don't contradict each other. They may conflict sometimes, but they are each important.

#9 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:39 AM

I suppose there is familiarity with d20, but it would take a lot of effort to make it more script friendly.

Have you considered looking at alternatives? I'm quite a fan for BRP system as used in RuneQuest, CoC, Ringworld, Stormbringer etc. It is simple, and for the most part it works.

There are also a wealth of diceless products out there which would sound to be even more suited to your purposes. Take a look at Active Exploits: Take2. It's freely available from many download sources like PIGames

#10 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

Have you considered looking at alternatives? I'm quite a fan for BRP system as used in RuneQuest, CoC, Ringworld, Stormbringer etc. It is simple, and for the most part it works.

Yeah, you just need to convert it all back from evil metric measurements that don't exist into real imperial ones (which do). WFRP's so much easier on hat front :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge