4 replies to this topic

#1 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

Long story short, I've recently been dragooned into being keeper for some IRC games. Never done it before, but I'm more or less getting into the groove. Thus far, I've successfully pulled off the haunting (some minor screwups, but hey), gonna go for edge of darkness tomorrow, which should be a bit more difficult, of course, being that I've never heard it run before.

thing is, Tatters looks mad cool, so I was wondering, Lindsay, how are you finding it from the standpoint of being also new at this kind of thing?

(further reference: Only one of my players has played CoC before, and that not since first edition)

#2 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

Is this a pretty common thing? I'm a complete noob with IRC (just started using it for the sake of the PoR and Shoggoth, actually), but it seems to have a well-established and diversified userbase. What makes it preferable to more mainstream chat software like MSN, for instance? Is it as simple as platform independance?

[edit]

#3 neongrey

neongrey

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

IRC is a lot better for handling when you want groups of people to be talking, and on a regular basis. Less memory-intensive, as well, in most cases.

It's also very handy for when you want to be talking with multiple groups at once. I'm currently in 11 IRC channels right now, and I would just dread trying to do something like that with IM software.

For the kinds of purposes it's put to in Nexus War, it's just overall a lot more convenient. For something like running a game every now and again, there's not really a huge advantage.

#4 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

Learnin' +1, thanks. :)

#5 Ffaern

Ffaern

Goblin

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationThe Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

Face,

A good client makes all the difference in using IRC. If you plan to have a go, try out the Mirc client, available for 30 days of testing from www.mirc.com. I finally registered it a couple of months ago after testing it for about 8 years - yes, I'm bad but I did pay in the end. 8-)

Ffaern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge