#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,100 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Yorkton tackle a little more Ptolus. They might be through the intro by now...

Pathfinder: Ptolus Session 06

Filesize: 119MB

Episode 6: We Didn't Start the Fire
Posted Image
After subduing the rogues in the warehouse, the interrogation begins. Finding out that these crooks are only another link in the chain of the murder plot, it turns into a battle of wits and bargaining between the party and the devious Vagger, until the party decides that it's more important to protect Phon from the man who hired Vagger. Will the chain of hired criminals ever end!?

Featuring:
Carter as the GM
Aimee as Blaze Ingson, Half-elf Rogue/Sorceress
Jack as Chevy the Cavalier, and his trusty mount Cobalt
Brian as Jerry Kryton, Human Oracle
Brad as Gol'moth Fireforge, Dwarven Alchemist
Mandy as Silver, Human Witch

Intro music provided by www.danosongs.com
Poster by Pencil-Monkey

Community Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

I just finished this one at work today. I really enjoyed how the Cran encounter went. When I ran my group through it they already knew about the bounty and basically killed the guys in their sleep. One fighter snuck in while the rest waited outside. The attack of op for the mage getting out of bed and a regular initiative attack killed him before he could set the place on fire, then they just drew the other two outside where they ganged up on them. Overall the fire was a lot more dramatic. I look forward to seeing how the group will handle a later encounter that if I recall has a sidebar warning about how difficult it is. My own group wiped once and lost another character to a friendly fire incident with a corssbow there. Trying not to be spoilery since they might not be there yet.
Also have to say I love the intro and group template work. Made me wish I had insisted on that kinda thing with the replacement characters with my group. Might have kept the two new role players from having their characters sitting in the Ghostly Minstrel 24/7 waiting for plot to hit them in the face. Definatly going to steal that for my next open sort of word/long timeframe game. Probably should have before now since I know Fear the Boot harp on the group template all the time.

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,242 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

Well well, we have another listener, huzzah!

Glad you enjoyed it. The fire really made things interesting for the party in that fight, though I'm not sure if I did things all correctly. It might've spread faster than it should've.

And yeah, I know that feeling with the players waiting for the plot to hit you bit. This is the second time I've run Ptolus, the first time sort've devolved into that a bit. This time I was kinda up front that there needed to be some good characters with decent motivations and such.

I think this is the first game I've actually used the group template in, but in general for my games I do try and get the players to have an idea of why they're together and such. Sometimes it depends on the players how well it works though, my group of players here are ace though so all is fine. :D

If you have any head's up you'd like to give, feel free to toss me a PM. Though, If we're talking about the opening 1-3 bit, I think I might know what fight you're talking about. Monte can be merciless in his monster builds some time.

You remind me that I need to get around to listening to some of the Ass Kicking recordings. I'm slowly trying to figure out what amount of ipod usage is acceptable in my workplace (as that's usually the best time to listen). I seem to be getting away just fine with one ear plug at least.

Anyway, once again, thanks and glad you enjoyed. We should be getting onto play session 9 tomorrow

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:04 AM

Anyway, once again, thanks and glad you enjoyed. We should be getting onto play session 9 tomorrow

"Oh, sometimes Hal is slow in releasing the recordings."
"Do not blame this on Hal!"
"This is the part that will be edited out."

All Hal's fault, huh, Hughard? PLAY MORE PTOLUS, DURNIT! I'm jonesing, here. :)

But yes, it's good to see that people are finally starting to openly acknowledge the wonder that is YGG.

#5 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

I was thinking adventure 4 now that I've opened the pdf and taken a look at the numbering. First time I saw the DM Tips sidebar on the left on page 32 of the adventure part I thought it was amusing. A lot of possible fun in that section, but danger as well. You planning to continue on through the Night of Dissolution arc?

#6 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,242 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

>.< Well, when we play a session I'm pretty quick at getting them up soon (I've vowed to do this with Ptolus cause I got so horribly behind with releasing Dragon's Delve.)
We've been pretty busy, but I think we can play this week and possible next, so you'll get your fix Pencil Monkey :D

The plan is to go into Night of Dissolution, but I'm kinda playing by ear what plot hooks and such the party seem to want to do (despite how it seems like I'm forcing plot hooks down their throats :P)
I'm more than happy elaborating on the many plot hooks Monte throws in throughout the book, and homebrewing stuff as well. Ptolus is an easy setting to create adventure with, so many antagonists to choose from. With the character backgrounds they did up, I also plan on doing some stuff related to those. And the party may even venture into the Banewarrens if they hear about it.

All in all, I'm just trying to run a fun 1-20 Ptolus game, using/cannibalizing/creating material as needed. So far it's pretty successful.

#7 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

I've tried to do something similar with one of my groups, but sadly the character deaths and group change seem to have taken some of the off plot interest out of them. If feels like pushing uphill to get them interested in the rest of the city when their previous characters who had backstory and interests died. For some players multiple character deaths. We did have fun with a druid who inherited the temple to the rat god though. Hope you keep the characters alive and players invested as it has been a good listen so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge